Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member
    I am always willing to learn but I cannot figure how this could have anything to do with ANY powder.
    Bullet destabilization is a product of forward velocity,rotational velocity,vs bullet length (and possibly condition of barrel).
    Anything else . . . please inform me. --- SAWMAN
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    I am always willing to learn but I cannot figure how this could have anything to do with ANY powder.
    Bullet destabilization is a product of forward velocity,rotational velocity,vs bullet length (and possibly condition of barrel).
    I agree but I got nothing to lose trying something else.
    Another picture that won't resize for me is of a 55gr Nosler Ballistic Tip Varmint fired from a 1:12" .223 that key holed religiously at about 1100fps muzzle velocity but did just fine at regular velocities around 2800fps.
    I tried to get the velocity up higher in the 300aac but ran out of case capacity at 1242fps and it still key holed.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny View Post
    I agree but I got nothing to lose trying something else.
    Another picture that won't resize for me is of a 55gr Nosler Ballistic Tip Varmint fired from a 1:12" .223 that key holed religiously at about 1100fps muzzle velocity but did just fine at regular velocities around 2800fps.
    I tried to get the velocity up higher in the 300aac but ran out of case capacity at 1242fps and it still key holed.
    As I stated earlier. That grain bullet is to heavy. Drop back to a 165 or 168 and the problem is solved. The chance of you holding a hand grenade instead of a rifle gets more probable the more powder you add just to shoot a 220gr bullet. I wouldn't think that'd be worth it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by EUDE75 View Post
    As I stated earlier. That grain bullet is to heavy. Drop back to a 165 or 168 and the problem is solved. The chance of you holding a hand grenade instead of a rifle gets more probable the more powder you add just to shoot a 220gr bullet. I wouldn't think that'd be worth it.

Actually I have since done just that.
    I cast and powder coated some 166gr RN and got them a little over 1500fps.
    Also have some 150gr RN jacketed at 1870fps.

Title
    Installed another resizer, it also has a mind of it's own.
    Anyway, 50 yards and 100 yards.
    5 shots each.

2017-07-09 14.16.38 (Small).jpg2018-02-10 16.38.46 (Small).jpg

Title
    The .308win.
    2 shots @ 50 yards.
    2017-07-09 14.16.47 (Small).jpg
    Last edited by Benny; 01-07-2019 at 03:30 PM.

Title
    Premium Member
    I can’t either, but at this point anything is worth a try. At least he has the powder on hand to give it a go.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EUDE75 View Post

The 300 blackout is designed to shoot 220gr bullets. 110gr- 225gr are well within its capabilities. That bullet was designed for the 300 blackout, so the OP is not doing anything dangerous or wrong.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Benny, did you not KNOW that a bullet that long,with that much weight forward,coming out of a 1:10 twist bbl at 930fps would not stabilize ??
    It's lucky that the bullet did not do a U turn and come back to hit you between the eyes.
    The above figures are about the greatest combo for bullet unstability that I have hear'ed tell about since Moby Dick was a guppy.
    Look around the web and find that bullet stabilization formula. Several inputs later you will come up with a number that tells the "rest of the story".
    After the bullet stability thing has been mastered,check over your barrel closely. If the bbl is flawed it could only show up when you get down close to the super vs sub vels but shoot the hot'ish supers just fine.
    The bullet weight (actually length),forward velocity,twist rate,formula will get you goin' in the right direction. --- SAWMAN
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Benny, did you not KNOW that a bullet that long,with that much weight forward,coming out of a 1:10 twist bbl at 930fps would not stabilize ??
    It's lucky that the bullet did not do a U turn and come back to hit you between the eyes.
    The above figures are about the greatest combo for bullet unstability that I have hear'ed tell about since Moby Dick was a guppy.
    Look around the web and find that bullet stabilization formula. Several inputs later you will come up with a number that tells the "rest of the story".
    After the bullet stability thing has been mastered,check over your barrel closely. If the bbl is flawed it could only show up when you get down close to the super vs sub vels but shoot the hot'ish supers just fine.
    The bullet weight (actually length),forward velocity,twist rate,formula will get you goin' in the right direction. --- SAWMAN
    I LOVE IT!!
    Thanks!