Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title
    Premium Member

.357, 158 gr JSP/JHP, 16.0 gr H110 - What say you?

Looked at the Lee book and 158 was 15.0 to 16.7. settled at 16.0, got it dialed in on the 650 and ran a dozen, decided to check Speer #14 has -- 13.9 to 15.5 :/. Nosler 1996 has 14.9 to 15.9 158/H110. Had to leave Google for Explorer to find the Hodgdon powder page. Gotta get away from them too. Hosgdon has 158 XTP from 15.0 to 16.7..... Anyone have any history with H110/158s? Thoughts? Most of these will be shot in a Henry Lever. A few may end up in various Ruger wheel guns.

I'm not working up for one gun, more settling in the mid range for several different .357s, but what is mid range?

I've been running 7.7 of Unique( top of the range by today's books but been loading it since 7.7 was the bottom of the range in 1987 (Speer)) , just looking to see if I can tighten the lever group with H110. Nosler said best accuracy was a the top of their book, 15.9 gr.

tx

Title
    Premium Member
    Find a Lyman book. They usually run a little hotter load than the others. I use to shoot H110 out of my 357's with a 158gr bullet. They shot really well. Took down several deer with a 686 S&W and a Rossi lever.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Lyman 50th lists 158g Hornady XTP starting at 16.3g with pressure at 31,700 CUP, and max at 17.0g with pressure at 38,400 CUP. If that helps.

Mag primers are recommended so I would use mag primers and a heavy crimp.
    Last edited by Big Eddy; 12-23-2018 at 01:47 AM.
    Big Eddy
    Not big and tall but big and round

Title
    Premium Member
    That is good info Big Eddy. Buddy texted me his Lyman page from 25 years ago --

For those that may search this thread one day: Those Lyman numbers give me some confidence that 16 is fine in a lever gun for sure and I'll see if they stick in the cylinder of my SA. If they do not, that will be it, that is as hot as I'll go in deference to the caution in other books. The new powders are a little different than the old. Lawyers and test methods also change a bit. Sometimes, as with Speer and Nosler, you get very different data. Go get more data I now have good confidence 16.0 will be fine. If the powder REALLY changed a lot, it would have a new name. I feed several .357s in the family, don't want any to have a problem. If it shoots tighter than Unique I may switch for hunting, H110 throws awesome. The Hodgdon web powder page is probably the truest number you can find with all the variables but since I am throwing with a 650, I want some margin at the top end, I'm pretty sure I have that despite some more conservative numbers in other books. Like potato chips, if you have a 650 set up, a test run is going to be 100 rounds.... it just is. If the 16s stick in the SA cylinder, I'll be back and update this thread, but I'm not expecting it. I find flattened primer peering pure VooDoo, YMMV.

Now to fine time to empty them...

Final note, H110 is suspected of having a detonation/pressure spike when loaded below book. It is the one powder I would not load at min or below book for any reason. This is the internet. I'm really not sure if that is true but the general consensus I have gathered.

Jeff

Heavy loads wear out guns, light loads blow them up. Be careful out there.

Last edited by Jeffm004; 12-23-2018 at 06:17 AM.

Title
    Premium Member
    Since you have data from a Lyman book that's 25 years old I'm curious to see what the difference is between them and a Lyman 49th. Here's the data out of the 49th. Let us know how different it is.

Title
    Premium Member
    lyman-357-old-2.jpg

I would NOT go this high but since I have it and you asked... Not sure what year, I just got the page.

Title
    Premium Member
    Definitely not. I might would with a Thompson contender or a Ruger blackhawk and that's a big might. Not as big a jump on the high side but the low end is alot lower. I'd never go that low. Once I get my 48th edition here with me I'm gonna check the differences between those two. I've looked at some others but not in 357. Funny how much load data has changed through the years.

Title
    Speer #5 doesn't even use H110 for load data.... just 2400, unique, Bull, and 5066

Title
    Premium Member
    It was too cloudy for the crono but this is what I think:

Nosler makes a very good 158, best I tried. 158/16 H110, good load. No need for more.

7.7 Unique & 7.9 Unique were indistinguishable on the paper. 7.9 were old loads, new Speer book max is 7.7. saved enough to crono one day.

Title
    Premium Member
    I like the Nosler 158g JHP as well as the Hornady 158g XTP, which ever is less $$$$. For target anyway, I have not tested the Nosler for expansion or penetration.
    Big Eddy
    Not big and tall but big and round