Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: range finders

Title
    Premium Member

range finders

looking into buying a good range finder for shooting . any helpfull hints .

Title
    Premium Member
    Honestly, I am no expert so I went to someone who is. I really like the guys at Cameraland NY. Doug and his brother run it. I always end up talking to Doug....not sure I have ever spoken to his brother. Anyway, those guys know there stuff. They also have great deals on Demos and Open box specials. I got a fabulous deal on a Sightron SIII 8-32 scope a while back. Give them a ring. It definitely can't hurt imo. Oh, and NOT affiliated with them in ANY way. Just like their sales, customer service, and products. Oh, I got my range finder from them but they surely have better today and cheaper too I bet.
    https://cameralandny.com/

Title
    Premium Member
    There are several downsides to rangefinders. The first is the magnification. You can't range a reasonable sized object at 1000yds with 4X. Even a car door sized object at 400yds with 4X is somewhat hard. Especially with the thicker crosshairs some of them have.
    Holding it steady,on the object,while you hit the button is another problem for getting the range of smaller objects,even at the reasonable distances. You can't range what you can't zap with the laser.
    Getting accurate distances with a rangefinder is easier if you "pre-range". Zap the rocks,trees,hill sides,etc,in your hunting area. But of course this does not help if you are hunting pronghorn in Arizona. You sneek over a ridge,see an animal,and have to zap him. He has other animals with him and all of them are moving around.
    Another problem that I quickly found is the stated range is never quite true. A rangefinder that states it is good to 800yds,might be good to 500. The 1000yd rangefinders that you pay bigger bucks for,are only useful out to 600-700yds.
    Picking a rangefinder,balance the stated distance,with the type crosshair,with your TRUE usage. Bowhunting deer is one thing,hunting Big Horn ram on the side of a mountain is altogether different. --- SAWMAN
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by denton View Post
    looking into buying a good range finder for shooting . any helpfull hints .
    I use the vortex ranger 1000. It’s barely adequate. I feel like the laser is to big. What I mean by that is when I range through trees or brush it doesn’t work. I’m not trying to range through stuff you can’t walk through. Just small branches. As sawman stated also. I can only range game to about 400 yards because of my hand movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk