Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

My gramps - leave yours here

So I saw a post on the FB back up page from a few weeks ago, and was going to comment but decided to start a conversation here instead.

I don’t have any memories of any of my grandparents except for my grandmother on my fathers side. She lived in Oregon and I’m on the east coast, I only remember seeing her once. All the others either died before I was born or died when I was very young.

So when my mom was moving out of her house, we came across a luggage trunk that had a bunch of stuff from my grandfather and WW2. Honorable Discharge paperwork, letters he wrote to my grandmother, even inspection paperwork for a captured pistol that he took home (no one know what happened to the pistol, in talking to my uncle he thinks it was stollen years and years ago), even a live 50 caliber black tip round from WW2. In the trunk was also a lot of negatives that were never developed into pictures (two of which are above). I just printed 15 of the best ones to give to my aunts and uncles for Christmas. I had a grand idea of making copies of everything, letters pictures, and putting everything together in a scrap book but, ran out of time. Maybe next year.

Let’s see the old pictures of your loved ones that are no longer with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    I lost all my pictures in a fire.... so I take pictures of everything now and store them digitally. I really wish I had something to share, so instead I will tell a story, and you can imagine it.

When I joined the USAF 21Mar94, I did Basic in Texas, and Tech School, also in Texas. Prior to leaving, I had managed to move out of my house and re-unite with my grandfather. My Grandmother had passed away, and we were not there because my mom and her were fighting.... like normal. SO, I spent some time with my Aunt and Grandfather, and older sister. They were all in support of what I was doing.... my parents were not, because they were losing free labor, which is the main reason I wanted to leave home.

My grandfather wrote me my entire time I was in Basic, and Tech School.... and became very excited when he found out my first base was going to be March AFB, CA. He was stationed there in WWII. I sent him pictures of the base, and his last letter to me included a 3c post card from March Field, of the barracks across the street from mine.