Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Hornady comparator

Now that im laid off i going to be doing some reloading. I have been loading using coal but have read the using the comparator is much more consistant. Can someone fill me in on the details please?? So I can decide to buy one or not.

Title
    Premium Member
    Using the comparator, measures to a point on the bullet that is much more consistent than the tip. So the answer is yes, measuring with a comparator is much more accurate.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Ok. So pick one up then? I know it measures to the ogive vs the tip and is usually used for getting depth closer to the lands. However i generally load to mag length or slightly over since im reloading for two 308's one with internal mag and one running AI mags.

Title
    Premium Member
    It’s totally up to you. For me when I load to mag length, I just make sure that the oal of the loaded rounds are all close to what I’m looking for, and don’t generally use a comparator. For my rifles that I’m not concerned about mag length and am more worried about the lands, I use a comparator.

JTD

Title
    I use the comparator for my 308 mostly. Everything else doesn’t need it because it is at or well under mag length.
    Using the comparator and OAL gauge from Hornady has shown me that I can seat bullets longer than my load manuals max OAL by quite a bit and still staying 20thou off the lands. With my bolt gun at least
    An armed society is a polite society

Title
    Premium Member
    Do you load your 308 to fit a mag or do you single load?

Title
    I have yet to reach mag length in my 308. It’s huge in my savage! I had to get taller ammo boxes for when I play with seating depth. I would have never noticed if I didn’t have the comparator and know the distance to the lands. It’s helped me tighten up groups with bullets that didn’t want to shoot well just using max book length but YMMV
    An armed society is a polite society