Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: Which trimmer?

Title
    Premium Member

Which trimmer?

Id like to hear from you guys who happen to have a Giraud Tri Way trimmer or a Trim It II or possibly both. Obviously I like the collets for the Trim It II, but have not seen either in person to help decide.

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gilpin View Post
    Id like to hear from you guys who happen to have a Giraud Tri Way trimmer or a Trim It II or possibly both. Obviously I like the collets for the Trim It II, but have not seen either in person to help decide.
    The giraud is amazing and so easy to set up. I can’t speak for the other trimmer because I went with the Tri Way first. It really is worth every penny especially when you factor time in
    An armed society is a polite society

Title
    Premium Member
    I've heard nothing but good things about them. I just like the idea of having a 20 dollar collet to swap to change calibers instead of new tool all together. Maybe it's not a great idea but that's why I asked. Mainly it's for 5.56 but would be nice to be able to do others in the future. Starting to shoot a lot of 308 also.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    So I've been meaning to update this for a week or so but finally getting around to it. So, I purchased the Trim it II right before Christmas and awaited the delivery..1 week ..2 weeks...nothing..emailed with no reply. called the shop and got a recording with two numbers one for Juan and one for Jim. So I called and left a message on one of the numbers. I got a call back from who i believe was Jim. He stated that they had been moving shops and were way behind in shipping..this kind of irritates me but i suppose things happen. So anyway i got a call later that day and was told the item would be shipped that day. A few days later i received the trimmer. 20 days from when I ordered it. It looked good and i was ready to put it to use. I took my time setting it up like the instructions said and chucked it into my drill. I had a grinder that i had bought for this purpose but wanted to test it out first before setting it up. First shell..chatter and head came loose..tightened up the cutting head and reset it again..same problem, tightened it up again...same thing..I was trying not to over tighten it and strip it out but I really had to crank on it and then the Allen head set screw starts to turn..not the threads but the head..I'm pretty irritated with it by this point..I can no way figure out how to keep it tight and I've had enough..
    So a strongly worded email off to them explaining my disappointment in their product and how do I go about returning it. Juan answered my email quickly with an apology and said just to send it back and they would refund the trimmer..of coarse no offer to pay for return shipping but I just wanted it gone at this point. It was returned promptly as it arrived to them. I called Giraud the same day I sent the trim it 2 back and had it by the end of the week. No setup other than length and chucked into the grinder motor and off to the races with a nice and uniform finished product. I suppose I may have gotten a bad Trim It II but they will never have my money again..so that's my 2 cents on trimmers.

Title
    Premium Member
    Thank you for following back up on this Mike. I too was eyeing the trim it 2 for the same reason of being able to do multiple calibers. I guess I'll stick with my current methods as I don't shoot enough to justify a griguard for each caliber.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Just don't tell my wife how much any of this really costs.

Title
    Premium Member
    I may have just received a bad one..I understand things happen during mfg. But, looking over the trimmer I couldnt see it taking multiple change overs from caliber to caliber and being tightened up over and over and lasting the life of the tool either. A few design changes, it would be a hell of a product.

Title
    Premium Member
    Still good info Mike. Thanks for posting.
    Big Eddy
    Not big and tall but big and round

Title
    Premium Member
    Hey, new trimmer coming out from Lyman I believe. Saw it on a Shot Show video. Looked pretty cool. $150 and it came w collets to do 50 calibers.

Title
    Premium Member
    I'll have to keep an eye out for that one too.