Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

300 wm load development.

How should I do test loads on a 300 wm. Normally I do 3 rounds in .3 gr increments. That is for 223 though. Makes me load about 21 rounds or so normally. With 300 that would be like 60 rounds just for testing... should I do single grain increments than go to half to refine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze007 View Post
    How should I do test loads on a 300 wm. Normally I do 3 rounds in .3 gr increments. That is for 223 though. Makes me load about 21 rounds or so normally. With 300 that would be like 60 rounds just for testing... should I do single grain increments than go to half to refine?

My load development for all rifles is .5 grain. I choose the best group and if I think I could do better I go .2 above and below the load I chose. I really enjoy shooting though so I probably don’t choose the most effective methods.

Title
    Premium Member
    I do 5 shot groups in .3 grain increments. I get a good idea off that grouping and then I can start playing with seating depth after I find the right powder charge.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ironhorse View Post
    I do 5 shot groups in .3 grain increments. I get a good idea off that grouping and then I can start playing with seating depth after I find the right powder charge.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Yeah with 223 it was never a big deal and I just shoot because I love it. However the cost to load 70 plus grains of powder and .308 bullets are drastically higher than 223 so I want to be more efficient with the load development than with 223. 300 wm is not a gun I would take out and just shoot for fun all day as that could cost me $100 in a day if I shoot it as much as a 223. Where a 223 is only $20 or so each time out on average.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze007 View Post
    Yeah with 223 it was never a big deal and I just shoot because I love it. However the cost to load 70 plus grains of powder and .308 bullets are drastically higher than 223 so I want to be more efficient with the load development than with 223. 300 wm is not a gun I would take out and just shoot for fun all day as that could cost me $100 in a day if I shoot it as much as a 223. Where a 223 is only $20 or so each time out on average.

Yeah the 30 cal guns are a bit more pricy to feed that’s for sure. I’ve found though that if I just pony up to find the best load from the start I’m not left wondering if I could do better. It saves me money in the end because I’m not chasing something better. I have an expectation of accuracy in every gun I own. If I hit it with the first load, bam done. To help you get there faster my WM loves the heavy stuff(200gr) and H1000

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbeaton View Post
    Yeah the 30 cal guns are a bit more pricy to feed that’s for sure. I’ve found though that if I just pony up to find the best load from the start I’m not left wondering if I could do better. It saves me money in the end because I’m not chasing something better. I have an expectation of accuracy in every gun I own. If I hit it with the first load, bam done. To help you get there faster my WM loves the heavy stuff(200gr) and H1000

Sweet! Thank you for the suggestion. I have H1000 and will try that next as varget is my go to first powder. My experience is varget works well on heavy or light but not the middle??? I am shooting 110 lol I like to shoot fast I guess. They go right through steel at 100 yards and I think they should take any game down within 250 yards. Any help you can offer in loading 300 Winnie would be great I am very open to it. I have read a lot of forms. Sounds like neck sizing as much as you can is the best way to go? I hear you only get 6-8 loads per case which sucks...

Title
    Premium Member
    Maybe something that you did not need,but . . . from expierance . . . start out with mag primers and stick with mag primers. By doing so you will not have to be concerned with what primer goes with what powder.
    Nowadays I pretty much use all mag primers. CCI 250,450,and Fed 215. Even in 308Win,30-30AI,223Rem,45-70,444Marlin,etc,etc.
    Makes life much simpler. --- SAWMAN
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Yes, I agree with SAWMAN. With the 300 magnum, there's a LOT of powder to ignite. A magnum primer is all I've ever used for that cartridge.

Title
    Premium Member
    I have owned,reloaded for,and shot,belted/non-belted magnums for quite some years. Some with the powder capacity of a 30-378Wby Mag,416Rigby,45-90Express,458Lott,and others.
    I started out using CCI250's and Fed215's and just stuck with them in my 308Win,243Win,and etc loads.
    I have found that about .3gr -- .5gr of powder equals the difference between non-mag and mag primers. Even the Fed215's. This,for pressures and velocities.
    The above works for me. YMMV. --- SAWMAN
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2