Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

6Creedmoor . . . ??

Wondering if anyone has any expierance with a rifle chambered in 6(mm)Creedmoor ??
    I am looking at the Ruger RPR or Predator and was wondering your expierances with these or any other weapon in this chambering. Both of these weapons appeal to me due to their twist rate (1:7.7).
    I will be reloading for this weapon. Was wondering about bullets and powders also.
    Any info will be much appreciated. --- SAWMAN
    Last edited by SAWMAN; 12-09-2018 at 03:56 AM. Reason: RPR . . .
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    What are you wanting the rifle to do for you? Hunting, long range precision...

Check out h4350. The 7.7 twist should get you 107smk and probably 110 berger or 115 dtac. I don't have any data though, i dont shoot 6cm but I do shoot 6XC.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Sorry for not posting . . . long range (800yds) target,and med/long range hunting (600yds).
    The RPR is pretty much #1 on my list due to the bbl length (24"). --- SAWMAN
    Last edited by SAWMAN; 12-09-2018 at 03:57 AM. Reason: RPR . . . .
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    I can't find a Ruger rmr. Are you referring to the Ruger precision Rifle?

I think that would suit you better than the American. I have the American predator and it is a great hunting rifle. It is light and I can carry it all day. For long range shooting, I very much prefer a heavier rifle and one where I can adjust length of pull and comb height.

The 6cm would be a great round for your purposes. Just keep in mind they tend to have a short barrel life. 2000 rounds ish depending on how hard you push them.

Title
    Premium Member
    You are right sir. Ruger Precission Rifle (RPR). Thanks
    The long range guys tend to push the velocity up to the limits. This is the whole idea behind the newer chamberings "of the day". Really nothing wrong with shooting the longer ranges with the 308Win,260Rem,243Win,and others. Just as long as the firearm is built/designed properly.
    This is why I was extremely disappointed with Ruger putting a 20" bbl on their 308Win RPR.
    I absolutely love this old chambering. I have been loading for it for alot of years. If the RPR would have come out with a 26" bbl,in 1:8 or 9 twist,I would have bought two of them. --- SAWMAN
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    I shoot a good bit of long range and yes velocity matters. To me though I would rather find a high end of moderate as to prolong the match grade accurate life of the barrel. The PRS guys can easily go through one barrel per shooting season.

I had my 6xc built with a 22 inch barrel. I shoot suppressed and a more handy rifle for positional shooting was worth the small velocity loss to me.

Don't get too caught up in velocity is king world. Do a test to determine the velocity node of your load. YouTube Scott Satterly, he has a good video on that. For long range shooting that standard deviation is critical. If shot A is 2966fps and you hit, but shot B is fired in the same conditions it may miss high or low because of velocity fluctuations (standard deviation). To me, consistency is more important than overall speed.

How important is barrel life to you? Will you shoot 1000 rounds a year? 2000 rounds, 350 rounds? If you are a high volume shooter plan on replacing barrels. If swapping barrels doesn't appeal to you there are more friendly cartridges available which will do all you want.

Title
    Premium Member
    Sawman - I just bought one of the doggone things!

They were on sale in 6mm Creedmoor and also in 223 Remington for an astounding $749, so I took the plunge and bought one. I had an appropriate scope and bipod avail here at home. Haven't yet handloaded for it. Shot 12 rounds of factory ammo through it this morning to zero it, and then a few rounds on the 450 yard steel plate. YES! This thing is terrific!

Virtually no recoil. Excellent accuracy and just really well set up.

I shot a group just under 3/4" at 100 yards this morning with Hornady factory ammo, but the rifle put two of those in one ragged hole. I think the flyer is me, getting used to a new rifle. No problem whatsoever hitting the 12" gong at 450 yards.

Regards, Guy

Title
    Premium Member
    That is a super deal on that gun. Please post any goods or bads that you find.
    Wondering about the trigger. Personally,I like 'em pretty light. For this type of gun,with my usage, 2-2.5lbs would be good as long as there was ZERO creep. --- SAWMAN
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    The trigger feels great! Maybe I'll weigh it tomorrow. If I do I'll post. It's supposed to be readily adjustable.

That deal is still avail through Sportsman's Warehouse.

I suspect that if I'd kept shooting, I'd have a ragged one-hole group with one flyer. I don't know that. But the rifle felt good. The ammo seemed excellent.

Regards, Guy