Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Title
    Premium Member

Bad 223 brass???

Came across a 5 gallon bucket of WCC 11 and 12 headstamped brass a few months ago and finally got around to sizing it prepping it and so on. Loaded some rounds and came to find out many of them wont even go into battery fully and lock up my BCG enough for me to have to do the slam remedy. Ive used RCBS small base dies to size them and still no luck. They were acquired from my local military base here in NC and I'm guessing they were fired out of a 249 with horrible headspace and timing to not function correctly. Anyone else ever ran into this problem?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I have run across brass that was near impossible to feed into the sizing die but never had brass come back out of the sizing die and not be able to gauge it.

Might sound stupid but are you sure your die is set up correctly?

Reloading...it’s like knitting for men.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Andrew View Post
    I have run across brass that was near impossible to feed into the sizing die but never had brass come back out of the sizing die and not be able to gauge it.

Might sound stupid but are you sure your die is set up correctly?

Reloading...it’s like knitting for men.
    I've reset my sizing dies multiple times, used 3 sizing dies, tried chambering in different ARs and majority of them still wont go into battery all the way. Prepped some LC brass I had laying around with the exact same sizing dies and loads and they cycled flawlessly. Im stumped.

Title
    Premium Member
    I’ve had this happen before. Where certain brass wouldn’t chamber but others would. I was crushing them ever so slightly during the seat/crimp stage. It was bulging at the bottom of the shoulder. If this is the case just back your die out a touch(less crimp).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I've got a pile of them, same thing. Bought two thousand. 308 from everglades(before i started using wes's)several years ago and just got to them and I can almost push primers in with hand. Wondering if they're safe like that.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbeaton View Post
    I’ve had this happen before. Where certain brass wouldn’t chamber but others would. I was crushing them ever so slightly during the seat/crimp stage. It was bulging at the bottom of the shoulder. If this is the case just back your die out a touch(less crimp).

I'll definitely give that a try tomorrow! I've battled this all day lol I put just enough crimp to where you see only a small nearly invisible faded crimp line.

Title
    Premium Member
    Are you trimming the brass after you resize them? Never had an issue with any brand brass for 223.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyt2 View Post
    Are you trimming the brass after you resize them? Never had an issue with any brand brass for 223.
    I sure am. I even ran a batch through the sizing die again to test out.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flannyjack View Post
    I'll definitely give that a try tomorrow! I've battled this all day lol I put just enough crimp to where you see only a small nearly invisible faded crimp line.

Make sure post any results. I’ve loaded tens of thousands of 223 and haven’t ran into a certain type that couldn’t be sized.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbeaton View Post
    Make sure post any results. I’ve loaded tens of thousands of 223 and haven’t ran into a certain type that couldn’t be sized.

Well woke up early and made a few test loads and still ran into the same problem. Even took the crimp die completely out. This has completely stumped me. I reckon I'll put the lid on the bucket and stick with lake city brass lol