Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: 300 Blackout

Title
    Premium Member

300 Blackout

Thinking about getting a 300 blackout ar. Anything I should be weary of or stay clear from? Should I build one with multiple different brands or is there one brand that's got it all going on? I'm not gonna shoot thousands of rounds out of it maybe 50 to 100 a year at best. Would like to be able to shoot subsonic and supersonic reliably.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    My only recommendation would be to get a pistol length gas system if you will be shooting subsonic ammunition at all. It will probably be much more reliable that way.

Title
    Premium Member
    I'm gonna look into everything that is recommended on here cause I dont know enough about them. So thanks for the input.

Title
    Premium Member
    The biggest thing to help with your desired performance IMO would be as previously mentioned is a pistol length gas system, which most are, an adjustable gas block, and potentially increasing the diameter of the gas journal on the barrel. Many barrel manufacturers do increase them as needed but some still drill them out to the standard 5.56 diameter which can cause reliability issues with subsonic ammo. I personally would piece it together. Get what you want and nothing more or less.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Any recommendations for brands?

Title
    Premium Member
    Truthfully, if I had a family member that wanted a 300blackout, I’d suggest staying away from subsonic ammunition unless it’s going to be a suppressor host. It costs more. It’s has a potential to be more difficult to get running reliable. It’s dirty. But.... If you run subsonic through a suppressor, it’ll make you giggle. Throwing a 30cal projectile down range and it being stupid quiet is absolutely fun. You will shoot a suppressed 300blackout much more than the round count your anticipating. Of course, that’s just my experience.
    I do agree with piecing it together, but I don’t know your experience with the ar-15 platform.

Title
    Premium Member
    Zero experience. I mean I had an m4 issued to me while in the service and I shot the shit out of it but my primary weapon when deployed was a 240B so that's where all my time went. I dont know anything about piecing one together. I dont know what brands are good and which to stay away from. That's mostly what I'm after. I do plan on suppressing mine though.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevpete View Post
    Zero experience. I mean I had an m4 issued to me while in the service and I shot the shit out of it but my primary weapon when deployed was a 240B so that's where all my time went. I dont know anything about piecing one together. I dont know what brands are good and which to stay away from. That's mostly what I'm after. I do plan on suppressing mine though.

Well piecing together one may be a big leap, there are some tools specific to the AR that are useful. You can get by with just an AR armourer's wrench and upper receiver vise block, but a gas system alignment tool is handy for the upper receiver. And I would always recommend using a torque wrench on the barrel nut. A good punch set is necessary and obviously a hammer, a magwells vice block can be useful for the lower receiver. YouTube and such can teach you everything about assembly. It's very easy and just like playing with Lego's as a kid.

Now brands. Where to begin. The market is absolutely flooded with components. From cheap to ridiculous. I personally lean towards the buy once, cry once, go cheap you'll weep mentally. You do not have to get the most expensive, because half the time you're mearly paying for the name. And so many of these components are made in the same factory, named, and sold to guys saying "Seekins rings are better than Vortex." [emoji23] Buy American, veteran owned in the middle price range. For the amount of shooting it sounds like you'll be doing, you'll be fine. Honestly it sounds like buying a complete upper and lower separately that you like may be the best route. The 300 BLK can be a finiky AR. Especially when shooting subs suppressed is an end goal. May not be the best to start as custom build. Took me over a year to develop a well rounded subsonic load for my 8.5" 300 BLK pistol. With heavy modification to both the load and firearm.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I just bought a 300 blk pistol upper from MAS defense. When you order from them you can pick and choose what parts you want (kinda). You can choose rail length and style. Muzzle device and so forth. Build your lower. That part is stupid easy. Buy a completed upper you won’t miss anything by not building you upper. You’ll save yourself money by not having to buy all the tools it takes to put one together.
    If you’re unsure about a part or build step don’t be afraid to ask on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Are you interested in a rifle or rifle-caliber pistol? In a rifle, just be sure to get a 16” barrel. In a pistol, anything longer than 8” is sufficient. I only mention this because lots of uppers for 300 blackout are less than the required length for a rifle. If budget is a constraint, Palmetto State Armory is a great place to start. You can buy a complete upper and complete lower, have them ( or at least the lower) shipped to your ffl, slap the halves together and be reasonable confident it will operate just as it should. For a firearm that will not see too much use, I think it would suit your needs