Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title
    Premium Member

180gr Nosler Partition alternative?

I've been loading for and shooting deer with 180gr Nosler partitions over 53gr Win760 in my Mauser 30-06 for many years. The past couple of deer ran 50-100 yards after solid hits that turned their insides to jello. The Partition was designed to penetrate deep, but doesn't spend enough time in there before passing through.

The gun really likes this combo, roughly MOA at 100 yards 1" high or so. Most shots are 100-150 yards at our Pa farm.
    I'm looking for suggestions for an alternate bullet with similar ballistics that can anchor whitetail size animals faster. I'm used to them dropping in their tracks with my .357 Henry and 12ga slugs (at much shorter distances.) Shot placement is good.

I'm considering 178gr Hornady A-max, but have not bought or tried others. I do know the guns 1:10 twist does not like lighter bullets.

Suggestions?

Title
    Premium Member
    That is very strange to me. I shoot 220gr partitions out of my 30-06, going 2550fps, and it anchors deer very well. Farthest one has ever run was 10-15yds. The forward part of the partition is very soft and expands well, even at lower velocities. A lot of people are fans of the ballistic tip and sst bullets for their tremendous shock on impact and “dead right there” performance.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    That is very strange to me. I shoot 220gr partitions out of my 30-06, going 2550fps, and it anchors deer very well. Farthest one has ever run was 10-15yds. The forward part of the partition is very soft and expands well, even at lower velocities. A lot of people are fans of the ballistic tip and sst bullets for their tremendous shock on impact and “dead right there” performance.

JTD
    Maybe I should try the heavier Nosler...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill114 View Post
    Maybe I should try the heavier Nosler...

I don’t know if I would try that, after the crap performance you are having now. 50-100 are some long run offs. I was thinking you should try one of the ballistic tip style bullets.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I don’t know if I would try that, after the crap performance you are having now. 50-100 are some long run offs. I was thinking you should try one of the ballistic tip style bullets.

JTD
    I've had them only run off only 20 yards, but the one I got Monday ran too far. Luckily, it was running directly AT me, and I was able to down it with another tap.
    The SST looks good in my manual. I'll try that. Thank you!

Title
    Administrator
    The SST we have, and the 178gr Hornady ELD-X are pretty awesome.
    They are a Match grade Hunting Bullet
    I've had them only run off only 20 yards, but the one I got Monday ran too far. Luckily, it was running directly AT me, and I was able to down it with another tap.
    The SST looks good in my manual. I'll try that. Thank you!

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Sage View Post
    The SST we have, and the 178gr Hornady ELD-X are pretty awesome.
    They are a Match grade Hunting Bullet
    Thanks, Wes. When things slow down it the next few weeks, I'll order some!

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks buddy!!
    Thanks, Wes. When things slow down it the next few weeks, I'll order some!

Title
    Premium Member

JTD
    I have shot the 165gr Nosler Ballistic Tips in my 300 savage with great results. They make a 180gr ballistic tip too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Bill, I save the 180 & heavier Nosler Partitions for elk & larger animals where more penetration may be needed. Though, the front of the Partition does expand readily, even on smaller deer.

For quicker kills of deer and smaller, I greatly favor the 165, either a Nosler Partition, or my favorite deer bullet, the 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. That thing has been sudden death for whitetail, mule deer, antelope, elk and black bear... Accurate. Expands quickly but that thick base helps it hold together to penetrate sufficiently. "Book" loads get it up over 2900 fps with no problem.

Couple of years ago I used only that bullet, and made one-shot drops on antelope, mule deer, elk & black bear. Same rifle, same bullet on all of 'em. The mule deer did need a finishing shot when I walked up to him, but he hadn't gone anywhere. In each case that 165 Nosler Ballstic Tip did a fine job. For me, those Ballistic Tips, in 30 cal, 25 cal and 6mm are pretty much perfect deer bullets.

Regards, Guy