Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: .17 hornet

Title
    Premium Member
    I'm currently in Eastern Montana where the coyotes are thick and the shots can get long.

.17 hornet

Anyone loading for the .17 hornet here? I was hoping to find a lil data using Tac and .25 grain Hornady V-max...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Title
    "I'm currently in Eastern Montana where the coyotes are thick and the shots can get long."

And .17 anything is too light for the nearly constant prairie winds! ;>)

Sorry, .223 is the lightest I go.

Title
    Premium Member
    I'm currently in Eastern Montana where the coyotes are thick and the shots can get long.
    I hear ya there, and agree to a degree. I'm from the same area and generally run a .260 Remington for the reasons you mentioned. But I picked up this lil hornet and I think it'd be the cat's meow for night calling (which I've never done much of). I picked up an Elite Iron "battledog" suppressor here a bit ago and am reworking all my loads to run suppressed. Just haven't gotten any loads worked up for this .17 yet.

Title
    Premium Member
    Sagela, do you have an opinion on a 22-243? I've got an old 308 I'm thinking about rebarreling. It's kinda down to a 22-250 or a 22-245. Either one will be a faster twist (I'm thinking 1-8). I'm hoping to shoot the 75gr Hornady eld either way.

Title
    .22-243 is a recent version of the .22 Cheetah (.308 necked to .223 back in the 80s) and I considered it but I have a nice hvy bbl Savage .22-250 I seldom use because my PD rifles have 26" Shilen bbls that flatten out my .223 loads with great accuracy, so the extra velocity seems small and unnecessary.

If you put big $$ into any project, though, you HAVE to enjoy it, right?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I'd assume you're correct. I think there are few projects involving guns that I wouldn't somehow enjoy [emoji4]

Title
    Just to add to the conversation....

Some of the .22 Cheetah rounds vaporized the lead in 40gr Soft Points with the heat of air friction and the copper jacket flattened out like a penny on the railroad track and
    nothing arrived at the target. Perhaps velocities north of 4300'/s sparked the development of ballistic tips and ultimately ELDs? Can't put ceramic tiles on bullets.
    My 1:9 twist .223 rifles keep 68gr Sierra HPBTs and 69gr Nosler Custom Comps on track to beyond 500yds so your higher velocity ELDs spun by 1:8 twist should SHINE.