Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: 300 BO pistol

Title

300 BO pistol

Just bought an 8.5 inch AR pistol kit in 300 blackout. Looking for a good starting point for reloads. Not looking for anyone's pet loads, just wondering if anyone has found something that performs really well. Wanting an effective range of 100 to 150 yds. Picked up some 125 gr nosler ballistic tips and thinking of going with w296 or h110. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Also new to the forum and never reloaded for an AR pistol. Anything different I should expect reloading for a pistol vs a carbine? Will also be converting .223 brass to 300BO.
    Last edited by Andyryman; 11-25-2018 at 05:49 PM.

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyryman View Post
    Just bought an 8.5 inch AR pistol kit in 300 blackout. Looking for a good starting point for reloads. Not looking for anyone's pet loads, just wondering if anyone has found something that performs really well. Wanting an effective range of 100 to 150 yds. Picked up some 125 gr nosler ballistic tips and thinking of going with w296 or h110. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Also new to the forum and never reloaded for an AR pistol. Anything different I should expect reloading for a pistol vs a carbine? Will also be converting .223 brass to 300BO.
    Welcome to the forum.

Pistol vs Rifle will be different if you are trying to get the absolute perfect round due to barrel length.....

I’m a huge fan of H110, and I think you will find a good recipe for your AR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Title
    Premium Member
    Think "gas". If not properly gassed you will have both FTF and FTE problems.
    Think "bolt speed". This,due to properly gassed,and another several major and a ton of minor things.
    Would suggest that you use the MagPul brand of mags with this gun.
    Please don't take this wrong. If you understand the mechanics of an AR,you can easily build a pistol. However I would highly reccomend a bbl of between 10.5 and 12.5 inches.This,for velocity reasons and muzzle blast . . ESPECIALLY if using a brake. The vels of a super 300BLK drops off pretty fast in the super short bbls. The muzzle blast is pretty much unbearable unless you are using a can with subs. Even using a linear comp.
    Gettin' the gas right is much easier in the longer bbl'ed pistols also. Has seemed to me that the diff between 16" and 10.5 and especially 12.5 inches of bbl is not that great in getting the gun to run properly. 8.5 inches is a different story. But again,it can be done. ---- SAWMAN
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    There is a 300 Blackout group on FaceBook where they discuss 300 BO pistols 99.9% of the time.

Title
    Premium Member
    Did you end up getting H110 to work in your 300 blackout pistol? I have a 8.5" barrel im looking to start a load for. I have 150gr cast/coated bullets. I have read on the 300 blackout forums that H110 is better for lighter bullets but was hoping it would work out for 150gr as I have some powder. Modern reloading has some load data for it.. but was wondering if you had success with yours.

Title
    I ended up going with 16.5 gr of w296 witch is dang near the same powder as h110. I'm using 125 gr nosler ballistic tips. It works well, but I think it's a little under gassed cause the emptys hit the Shell deflector. Might need a lighter buffer or adjustable gas block. Can't say much about accuracy cause I'm only using a red dot scope.

Title
    Premium Member
    I shoot the Nosler 110 gr bullets that Wes sells. Use 26.2 gr of CFE BLK. I have a Trijicon Mro on it, but it has a small dot so I am very happy with it so far. Haven’t shot it seriously for groups though. But, it acquires and terminates pumpkins at 100 yards well.

Title
    Premium Member
    Are you looking for supersonic or subsonic loads in your pistol? H110 should work for both.