Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title

CCI BR-4 vs CCI #400

Has anyone done any testing between the two of these primers? My local shop was out of CCI #400's so I bought a box of BR-4's. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    The BR-4 is a benchrest primer which has a thicker cup and more uniform ignition. It can handle higher pressure than the 400. I use the 400 in 223 plinking loads for the AR. If I'm gonna run hotter loads I'll use #41 or 450s. In my higher pressure 223 bolt rounds I use the BR4 and 450s. I use the BR4 in my lapua 6.5 creedmoor brass. DO NOT use 400s in the small primer 308/6.5 creedmoor/6 creedmoor brass. It cannot handle the high pressures of those cartridges and you are playing danger/injury/possible death zone if you do. Bergara had a post on their website and social media about people damaging their guns because they were loading using the 400s. Be smart and you will live to be an old reloader some day my friend. Hope this helps you.
    Last edited by SouthernCoyote; 11-13-2018 at 05:49 PM.
    "Do I reload to shoot more, or do I shoot to reload more?" 30-378 Weatherby, .300 RUM, 7mm Rem Mag, 6.5 Creedmoor, .223/5.56, .375 H&H, .40 S&W, 10mm, .357 SIG

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernCoyote View Post
    The BR-4 is a benchrest primer which has a thicker cup and more uniform ignition. It can handle higher pressure than the 400. I use the 400 in 223 plinking loads for the AR. If I'm gonna run hotter loads I'll use #41 or 450s. In my higher pressure 223 bolt rounds I use the BR4 and 450s. I use the BR4 in my lapua 6.5 creedmoor brass. DO NOT use 400s in the small primer 308/6.5 creedmoor/6 creedmoor brass. It cannot handle the high pressures of those cartridges and you are playing danger/injury/possible death zone if you do. Bergara had a post on their website and social media about people damaging their guns because they were loading using the 400s. Be smart and you will live to be an old reloader some day my friend. Hope this helps you.
    Thanks! I usually run CCI #41's but there's been a shortage here locally and the kid at the counter grabbed the BR-4's by accident and I didn't realize it until I got home. They're a bit more spendy but for my .223 needs the BR-4's should be perfect, just a tad more spendy...

Title
    Premium Member
    You will love them. They lowered my ES/SD in my bolty 223 loads and my 6.5 Creedmoor.
    "Do I reload to shoot more, or do I shoot to reload more?" 30-378 Weatherby, .300 RUM, 7mm Rem Mag, 6.5 Creedmoor, .223/5.56, .375 H&H, .40 S&W, 10mm, .357 SIG

Title
    You will love them. They lowered my ES/SD in my bolty 223 loads and my 6.5 Creedmoor.
    Sweet! Looking forward to doing some load development with them. Been saving some really nice Norma brass and some grade A LC brass. [emoji846]

Title
    Premium Member
    They should serve you well. Post some results and let us know the difference you see using them. They are spendy, that's why I only use them for my precision loads.

Title
    They should serve you well. Post some results and let us know the difference you see using them. They are spendy, that's why I only use them for my precision loads.
    Will do!