Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Title
    Premium Member
    The pics were originally to large, I had to resize them to get them to upload.

Note that there is a 2x6 a hair more than 1 1/2" above the bench surface. This allows a 2x4; 2x6; etc. to "wedge" between the top of the bench and the 2x6 that runs parallel to the top. A press, vise, or whatever you want to be mounted can be locked into the bench. In the case of my Dillon, it is mounted on a double layer of 3/4" plywood to make the 1 1/2" thickness to fit tight. This system also requires a clamp to be used on the leading edge of the press or device you are trying to secure.

I despise a wobbly weak workbench! The top is two layers of 3/4" plywood plus another 3/4" layer of hardwood flooring. The braces are considered "architectural" grade and very heavy, utilized at every stud. Note that addition support is added with another 2x6 under the back edge of the surface, and there are 2x4s layed flat under the brace legs.

This set up is rock solid, even when I have my vice locked it and banging on the flat anvil section of the vice with a 3lb hammer.

Title
    Premium Member
    That's exactly the kind of thing I need to mount presses etc. It looks 100% solid but easy to move when not in use. Those mounts are going to be my next project.
    Last edited by davet; 11-13-2018 at 10:09 PM.

Title
    Premium Member
    Wow! Thanks for those pictures Mitch! That looks like a great system!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member

Building a bench—questions!

Well, after too many delays, I finally got started on my bench today. I started the bench top which is hopefully the slowest part. I started with 10’ 2x6’s and cut them in half so I have 5’ boards. Then ripped them at 2.5” so I got four nice pieces out of each board that I bought. Should be a good, sturdy bench the the time I’m done. I am not going to drastically overbuild the rest of the bench, legs, and shelves, but figured I want the top solid. I’m still second guessing myself on height, but after sitting comfortably on my computer chair today, I think I’ve settled on 34”. With the chair extended all the way up, it should be decently comfortable to work off of.
    Anyways, tomorrow I’ll try and get the top all glued together and then start working on legs and shelves. I’m hoping to have the bench done by the time I have company on Thursday to help me move it inside! [emoji6][emoji106]

Last edited by Jbotto; 11-20-2018 at 09:25 PM.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbotto View Post
    Well, after too many delays, I finally got started on my bench today. I started the bench top which is hopefully the slowest part. I started with 10’ 2x6’s and cut them in half so I have 5’ boards. Then ripped them at 2.5” so I got four nice pieces out of each board that I bought. Should be a good, sturdy bench the the time I’m done. I am not going to drastically overbuild the rest of the bench, legs, and shelves, but figured I want the top solid. I’m still second guessing myself on height, but after sitting comfortably on my computer chair today, I think I’ve settled on 34”. With the chair extended all the way up, it should be decently comfortable to work off of.
    Anyways, tomorrow I’ll try and get the top all glued together and then start working on legs and shelves. I’m hoping to have the bench done by the time I have company on Thursday to help me move it inside! [emoji6][emoji106]

That top is going to work just fine. Hopefully it’s ready to move when your help gets there Thursday!!

Title
    Premium Member
    Well I had to take a break on this project and I’ve been fighting little bumps in the road ever since. So I glued those boards together for my top and fought the glue as the first boards I glued were already setting by the time I finished the last ones. So I couldn’t get them all set in the clamps good enough. Lesson number one, don’t try and glue all the boards together in one shot. I think if I did 4 or 5 at a time and then glued those sections together it would have turned out better.

Since the boards had to then be smoothed out and leveled, I had to buy a belt sander to do it. I did a dumb thing and bought a cheap one. After using it for 3 hours it fell apart on me. So then had to wait a week before I could get back to the store (an hour away) and get a better one. With that done last week I could start on it this week. I got to work Monday of this week and learned I was getting laid off for a couple weeks so my bosses could go home for the holidays. That sucks, but at least I had time to do lots of projects. Yesterday I got the sanding/leveling done and started on the legs.

The pictures suck as my garage lights aren’t great but you get the idea. Today I did more sanding to smooth out the outer edge pieces of the bench top and got some of the pieces for the upper and lower shelves cut out. Had a hiccup and had to run to the hardware store in town to buy a new drill bit after I snapped the countersink/combo but I was using to pre-drill all the screws. .
    I am trying to problem solve the shelves tonight and see how I want to design them, so I can get the back cut and then finish up the shelves. Progress is being made!!! I’m excited to get this thing up to my apartment and start reloading again. I haven’t pulled a press handle since early August before I moved.

If any of you have pictures handy of how you did shelves, feel free to share them!

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbotto View Post
    Well I had to take a break on this project and I’ve been fighting little bumps in the road ever since. So I glued those boards together for my top and fought the glue as the first boards I glued were already setting by the time I finished the last ones. So I couldn’t get them all set in the clamps good enough. Lesson number one, don’t try and glue all the boards together in one shot. I think if I did 4 or 5 at a time and then glued those sections together it would have turned out better.

Since the boards had to then be smoothed out and leveled, I had to buy a belt sander to do it. I did a dumb thing and bought a cheap one. After using it for 3 hours it fell apart on me. So then had to wait a week before I could get back to the store (an hour away) and get a better one. With that done last week I could start on it this week. I got to work Monday of this week and learned I was getting laid off for a couple weeks so my bosses could go home for the holidays. That sucks, but at least I had time to do lots of projects. Yesterday I got the sanding/leveling done and started on the legs.

The pictures suck as my garage lights aren’t great but you get the idea. Today I did more sanding to smooth out the outer edge pieces of the bench top and got some of the pieces for the upper and lower shelves cut out. Had a hiccup and had to run to the hardware store in town to buy a new drill bit after I snapped the countersink/combo but I was using to pre-drill all the screws. .
    I am trying to problem solve the shelves tonight and see how I want to design them, so I can get the back cut and then finish up the shelves. Progress is being made!!! I’m excited to get this thing up to my apartment and start reloading again. I haven’t pulled a press handle since early August before I moved.

If any of you have pictures handy of how you did shelves, feel free to share them!

looking good,but if you want time use,slow cure epoxy instead of glue,nice job on changing grain every other board,your bumps and humps are from knots and soft grain outside knots

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentstick View Post
    looking good,but if you want time use,slow cure epoxy instead of glue,nice job on changing grain every other board,your bumps and humps are from knots and soft grain outside knots
    Thank you for the kind words. That makes sense for some of the bumps but initially they were just very rough across the tops as they didn’t glue flat and smooth across. It had about 4 hours of sanding to smooth it all out. I really tried to alternate grain patterns so it would be a stronger glue up.

Title
    your project is coming along pretty nicely.

I think you are going to be very happy when that is done.

One of the coolest things I ever saw, some guy on the FB page, took gunpowder and burnt a logo on this bench prior to sealing it.