Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Title
    Premium Member

Building a bench—questions!

So I’m building a bench after reloading on some makeshift benches over the past few years and then graduated to reloading with a buddy on his bench due to my living arrangements. Anyways, I’m newly married and my bride is giving me space in the guest room to reload. I know I’m doing a 5’ long bench with shelving above and below the bench top. I have a spare office chair that I’ll be using, but what should my bench height be? I’m 6’2” if that helps. I’m planning on using this thread as the project progresses so please check back as I appreciate any help or insight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbotto View Post
    So I’m building a bench after reloading on some makeshift benches over the past few years and then graduated to reloading with a buddy on his bench due to my living arrangements. Anyways, I’m newly married and my bride is giving me space in the guest room to reload. I know I’m doing a 5’ long bench with shelving above and below the bench top. I have a spare office chair that I’ll be using, but what should my bench height be? I’m 6’2” if that helps. I’m planning on using this thread as the project progresses so please check back as I appreciate any help or insight!

I built mine 36inches high so I can stand or sit but I use a 30 inch barstool when I sit and I’m only 5’6” lol if your just going to sit in an office chair I’m thinking 30 inches but then again you are tall compared to me !!

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunshot View Post
    I built mine 36inches high so I can stand or sit but I use a 30 inch barstool when I sit and I’m only 5’6” lol if your just going to sit in an office chair I’m thinking 30 inches but then again you are tall compared to me !!

Thanks Gunshot! That’s definitely helpful as it’s a star in the right direction for me! I appreciate you taking the time to reply!

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbotto View Post
    Thanks Gunshot! That’s definitely helpful as it’s a star in the right direction for me! I appreciate you taking the time to reply!

Most welcome. My daughter is finally moving out so my reloading room is about to get bigger so I will be building a 6 ft extension on mine real soon so I can set up another press Good luck !!

Title
    Premium Member
    I built mine at 41 inches, and I stand just a bit over 6" tall. I am very comfortable either standing or sitting on a 30" bar stool. This set up has worked well for me for over 25 years.

Title
    Premium Member
    I am 6'0" and my bench top is 44" above the floor. BUT- I use a think 2" think hard foam cushion to stand on. I rarely sit at my bench but do have a tall adjustable stool that is comfortable to sit on.

My workspace is very tight, and my handloading bench also serves as a gun smith bench so I set mine up to allow the presses to be moved. I did not want legs touching the floor to get in the way of storage. They say a picture is worth a thousand words... if you have questions about construction details just ask.

(Hmmmm- forum is not letting pics load... will try to add/edit later.)

Title
    Premium Member
    The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
    I am 5'3" and my bench is 42". It works out perfect for me either standing or with a bar stool.
    Nemo me impune lacessit

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Dufour View Post
    I am 6'0" and my bench top is 44" above the floor. BUT- I use a think 2" think hard foam cushion to stand on. I rarely sit at my bench but do have a tall adjustable stool that is comfortable to sit on.

My workspace is very tight, and my handloading bench also serves as a gun smith bench so I set mine up to allow the presses to be moved. I did not want legs touching the floor to get in the way of storage. They say a picture is worth a thousand words... if you have questions about construction details just ask.

I’m always interested in pictures! Thank you for the help!

Title
    Premium Member
    Thank you to everyone so far! I appreciate all the feedback and help!

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Dufour View Post

Mitch I would be very interested in hearing details about how you got your presses setup to be moved. I started with a turret press and have recently added a progressive and plan to add a single stage soon. I would rather have them movable so bench space is available for other things when I am not using one. Pics of this part specifically would be great once you get them to load.