Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooley View Post
    After yall's comments and some more reading and watching videos, the Lee is out. I am mechanically inclined, but my patience is not great since my accident. Still considering the Hornady, but the Dillon is leading the way.
    I had a Hornady for a couple of years. I came across a good opportunity to buy a Dillon 550. About 6 months later, I added a second 550 and sold the Hornady equipment to buy more conversions for the 550s. I never regretted that decision. Although I have added quite a bit of equipment, bought a sold several different Dillon presses, I still have that first 550.

Title
    Premium Member
    The cost of the conversions are a big factor in my decision. I'm gonna reload for 4 or 5 different calibers at least. That's going to be a chunk with the dillon. I'm guessing 200 per caliber from what I've read.

Title
    Premium Member
    The cost of the conversions are a big factor in my decision. I'm gonna reload for 4 or 5 different calibers at least. That's going to be a chunk with the dillon. I'm guessing 200 per caliber from what I've read.
    You are looking at $50 for a basic conversion kit.

You can buy nice billet tool heads for less than $20 shipped in pairs.

I recommend a powder die for each tool head @ $13.
    Then all you have to do is move the powder throw to whichever caliber you are loading. You can take measurements on your powder throw fit each caliber and return very close to where you need to be.

Used conversion show up for sale, just don’t get in a hurry. Also you might be surprised how many conversions you might be able to build.
    For instance the .45 ACP shell plate is used for .308 and all of its associated cases.

Check out this site
    http://thegunwiki.com/apps/calconversion/

Title
    Premium Member
    After yall's comments and some more reading and watching videos, the Lee is out. I am mechanically inclined, but my patience is not great since my accident. Still considering the Hornady, but the Dillon is leading the way.
    Probably a good decision to pass on the Loadmaster if your patience isn't great right now. I bought a used one not too long ago with a lot of extras at a good price. It runs great now, even the bullet feeder and priming system but I did have to tinker with it and get a few things figured out. I knew that going in but it still got really frustrating a times. I am happy with the Loadmaster right now and think it is a big improvement over my classic turret press but everyone seems to say Dillon is the best and that is what I will probably have when I can afford it. Hopefully I will appreciate it all the more after having used others.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davet View Post
    Probably a good decision to pass on the Loadmaster if your patience isn't great right now. I bought a used one not too long ago with a lot of extras at a good price. It runs great now, even the bullet feeder and priming system but I did have to tinker with it and get a few things figured out. I knew that going in but it still got really frustrating a times. I am happy with the Loadmaster right now and think it is a big improvement over my classic turret press but everyone seems to say Dillon is the best and that is what I will probably have when I can afford it. Hopefully I will appreciate it all the more after having used others.
    You will appreciate it! I still use my RCBS single stage, but it is night and day different. I use the Dillon for my AR calibers and 9mm. I shoot a LOT of 9mm. Bought a CZ Scorpion carbine and a CZ SP-01 and those things are fun to shoot. That being said I have to feed them. The Dillon was the only way I could keep up and not pull my hair out.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davet View Post
    I'm glad that I had the Loadmaster first. It gave me a great appreciation for the Dillon I have now. I also learned how things operated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Dillon XL650

Title
    Premium Member
    I am at this same crossroads myself as I am torn between the Hornady LNL AP and the dillion 550. Seems like almost every one out there is drinking the blue cool aid. I have watched tons of videos and reviews and one of my observations is that with the Hornady you can can leave your right hand on the lever and place bullets and cases with your left hand, this seems natural to me. Where the dillion you have to load a case with your right hand taking it off the lever then a bullet with your left hand then advancing the shell plate.

Is the dillion as cumbersome as it sounds or am I over thinking it?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Just don't tell my wife how much any of this really costs.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingrich09 View Post
    I am at this same crossroads myself as I am torn between the Hornady LNL AP and the dillion 550. Seems like almost every one out there is drinking the blue cool aid. I have watched tons of videos and reviews and one of my observations is that with the Hornady you can can leave your right hand on the lever and place bullets and cases with your left hand, this seems natural to me. Where the dillion you have to load a case with your right hand taking it off the lever then a bullet with your left hand then advancing the shell plate.

Is the dillion as cumbersome as it sounds or am I over thinking it?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    I don’t think so. I replaced the LNL with another 550.

Title
    Premium Member
    I find the 550 pretty smooth to operate. My left hand is placing the bullet and rotating the shellplate as my right hand is grabbing and placing a case. Then my right hand is right by the pull lever to pull it. My right hand is usually back on the lever ready to pull by the time my left hand has set the bullet nice and straight. I personally like the fact that the 550 doesn't auto index. I do load the majority of my pistol on a square deal b but I don't think the 550 is much slower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk