Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Cleaning new guns

I guess this will be safe to post on the forum. will post no pictures or name any brands. I'm 65 and buying "a few" guns to keep new in the box for my grandkids who are 5 and 3. Hope to be around long enough to take them out and shoot but just in case I am writing "tear jerker" notes and putting pictures in the box for them 10 to 15 years from now. My question is, should I clean the guns and coat with oil or just leave them as they are from the factory. They will be stored in a safe so moisture should not hopefully be a bad problem. My concern is, will the factory oil set up and harden in that much time if it comes to that outcome. One pistol in particular seems like it was dipped in STP and placed in a baggie in the case.

Similar Threads:

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by crazynewts View Post
    I guess this will be safe to post on the forum. will post no pictures or name any brands. I'm 65 and buying "a few" guns to keep new in the box for my grandkids who are 5 and 3. Hope to be around long enough to take them out and shoot but just in case I am writing "tear jerker" notes and putting pictures in the box for them 10 to 15 years from now. My question is, should I clean the guns and coat with oil or just leave them as they are from the factory. They will be stored in a safe so moisture should not hopefully be a bad problem. My concern is, will the factory oil set up and harden in that much time if it comes to that outcome. One pistol in particular seems like it was dipped in STP and placed in a baggie in the case.
    If it was me I'd clean them well and use a high quality oil.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Last edited by CodySPowell; 11-09-2018 at 02:03 PM.

Title
    Premium Member
    DO NOT . . . REPEAT. . . DO NOT . . . Leave them as is from the factory.
    Take them apart,lightly lube every part,nook and cranny,inside bore,etc,etc,that you can get to. Use Q-tip for the small,tight places.
    DO NOT store the guns in a gun case. The origional box is ok but take all the tightly wrapped plastic off. (Let the gun breathe)
    Store guns with dehumidifier in safe. ---- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    They make storage grease for just that. I greese the ones I never shoot once a year.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk