Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Max velocity for hard cast lead

Think these hardened bullets will hold up to 1600-1700fps from a rifle?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    In my expierance . . . yes. Clean with jag and tight fitting patch.
    Interested in what chambering you will get that bullet up to 1600fps with ?? --- SAWMAN
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    In my expierance . . . yes. Clean with jag and tight fitting patch.
    Interested in what chambering you will get that bullet up to 1600fps with ?? --- SAWMAN
    500 AutoMax. Basically a rimless 500 SW so it will function in an AR10.

Title
    Premium Member
    Know it. Kinda like the 45Raptor.
    For me . . . I would not shoot non jacketed ammo thru that AR.
    I would be interested in any feedback that you care to post on this chambering. --- SAWMAN
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    Know it. Kinda like the 45Raptor.
    For me . . . I would not shoot non jacketed ammo thru that AR.
    I would be interested in any feedback that you care to post on this chambering. --- SAWMAN
    I don't have much. I recieved my AR in mid June and have only taken it out to shoot 3 times and it was all with the Underwood factory ammo and some ammo from Bighorn Armory. The Underwood was 350gr XTP's that I chrono'd at 2305 fps. Bighorn stuff was 440gr hardcast I got at like 1910 fps. I was told that was middle of the road for them and they haven't gotten it as hot as 2200 fps.

I don't remember the specifics but I believe Bighorn said they have put thousands of hard cast lead bullets through their test rifles now with no issues.

I was able to ring a 10" gong pretty consistently at 200 meters with the XTP ammo. My 5'3" 120lb wife shot 5 shots out of it no big deal. My cheapo Savage 110 in 30-06 kicks harder. The 500 does have a muzzle brake and it does have recoil but it's a slow push back about 3" instead of a hard thump.

As I play around with these plinking rounds and get more comfortable with the rifle I'll load up some of my jacketed bullets and try to.stretch it out as far as I can.

Title
    Premium Member
    Brady the cast bullet ammo for the BHA 500 Auto Max is made by Buffalo Bore they developed the ammo especially for the rifles produce in 500 AM by BHA, the 1600 to 1700 fps. MV in question is easily doable in that cartridges especially with the 1:24 twist bore and 18" barrel. I'm pretty sure that Buffalo Bore uses cast bullets made by Cast Performance using LBT molds and are of a gas check design which I would highly recommend for use in semi auto rifles especially at the velocities and type firearm you wanting to use them in.

Last edited by Reloader762; 11-08-2018 at 03:49 AM.
    'Artisan' in Lead, Brass & Powder

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reloader762 View Post
    Brady the cast bullet ammo for the BHA 500 Auto Max is made by Buffalo Bore they developed the ammo especially for the rifles produce in 500 AM by BHA, the 1600 to 1700 fps. MV in question is easily doable in that cartridges especially with the 1:24 twist bore and 18" barrel. I'm pretty sure that Buffalo Bore uses cast bullets made by Cast Performance using LBT molds and are of a gas check design which I would highly recommend for use in semi auto rifles especially at the velocities and type firearm you wanting to use them in.

Yeah. I have some cast performance bullets with gas checks. I was intrigued by this hardened hard cast bullet which lead me to making this post.

Underwood also makes some cast bullet ammo for the BHA AR500. Not sure what brand bullets they use though.

Title
    Premium Member
    Brady the Cast Performance bullets are heat treated as well with a final BHN of around 18 to 20+ Matt's Bullets are also although he doesn't specify the final BHN I'm it's pretty close to the same as the CP bullets. I heat treat my bullets as well for some applications depending on the velocity / pressure of the load I'm going to be shooting them at. With a plain base bullet of the right hardness and a god lube that fits the bore properly usually around 1600 fps. is about Max maybe a bit slower otherwise I would go with a checked bullet.

Check out Full.Lead.Taco on YouTube, he cast, loads and shoots a lot of big calibers in handguns an rifles.
    'Artisan' in Lead, Brass & Powder