Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: 300wm

Title
    Premium Member

300wm

1st time reloading measures 3.49 it chambered with no problem. My load data says 3.42 what you think. Its 208 eld match

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Title
    Administrator
    No problem at all. A lot of us seat WAY farther out than that, to lessen the "Jump" to the lands.
    Too short, can increase pressures, too long gets closer to the rifling, and helps with accuracy.
    May want to see what tyour "Max" length is and read up on setting the jump.
    It may nor even fit in the box mag and will need to be single loaded, but accuracy improves by finding what your rifle likes

Title
    Premium Member
    I single feeding right now because my stock set up bottom metal and box mag,but here a shot with bullet in mag for future reference.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Title
    Administrator
    Got it.
    You can probably set it out farther, but need to know where it contacts the rifling then back off that .010 to work the load up.
    Some if not most rifles like less jump and really tighten up group sizes

Title
    That’s my favorite part of loading...... find a powder, find a depth, ladder test...... repeat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Title
    Premium Member
    I’ve run into problems where the cartridge will still fit in the Mag but the COAL causes feeding issues later on. Not saying it will happen here but something to watch for.

If you want to see how far out it is to the lands, take a unprimed fires case and run it through the sizer so that you just kiss the neck of the cartridge. Just enough to create a smidge of neck tension. Seat a bullet long and take a sharpie and color the ogive. A black or blue sharpie works best.

Chamber the dummy cartridge and close the bolt. The bullet will press up against the lands and be pushed back into the case. Carefully open the bolt and measure the COAL. The sharpie will be worn off where the bullet makes contact on the lands and grooves, also helps to make sure you actually seated the bullet back some. This is the max length you can load to.

If you’re careful you can use the dummy round to set up your seating die, then screw down the seating stem a quarter turn. That will set you right off the lands.

Its not perfect but beats paying $30 for a Hornady gage and shell to the same thing.

Reloading...it’s like knitting for men.