Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Plated / Coated Bullets Load Data

I apologize is this has been posted before, but I couldn't find it in a search.

Most reloading data I see has a jacketed bullet and a lead bullet to see load data for. What do you do with plated and coated bullets?

For example, in 9mm I have quite a few different weights and styles of Berry's bullets I got in trade. Those are just copper plated.
    I also got some 45 Colt Missouri Bullet Company bullets that are coated in Hi-Tek. Someone said that Hi-Tek coated bullets need 10-20 percent less powder. a) Is that true? b) 10-20% less than what?

Appreciate the clarification.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattiooo View Post
    I apologize is this has been posted before, but I couldn't find it in a search.

Most reloading data I see has a jacketed bullet and a lead bullet to see load data for. What do you do with plated and coated bullets?

For example, in 9mm I have quite a few different weights and styles of Berry's bullets I got in trade. Those are just copper plated.
    I also got some 45 Colt Missouri Bullet Company bullets that are coated in Hi-Tek. Someone said that Hi-Tek coated bullets need 10-20 percent less powder. a) Is that true? b) 10-20% less than what?

Appreciate the clarification.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member

Plated / Coated Bullets Load Data

I almost always go with jacketed data. You likely will be ok with cast data but different companies have different thickness of plating, but few will ever approach the thickness of a jacketed bullet.

Thus you will always be loading on the safe side when it comes to pressure if you stick with the Jacketed Data.

This is due to the engraving force being lower for a cast bullet then a jacketed bullet. Higher engraving force will typically raise pressures.

Thus being said a really hard cast bullet may have a higher engraving force then a plated bullet, which typically uses a soft led core.

Substituting cast data for a jacket bullet will nearly always lead to higher pressures.

Reloading...it’s like knitting for men.
    Last edited by Jay Andrew; 10-29-2018 at 03:30 PM.

Title
    Premium Member
    Are these the ones you got from me? If so, you can run the plated up to full FMJ data, if necessary. For the Hi-Tek coated lead, you want to use lead data. IIRC, the coating gives a bit MORE resistance than plain lead... To be sure, you can contact Missouri Bullet and ask, check their website as they may have some info there, I don't remember.
    disciplejourney.com

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkDisciplinare View Post
    Are these the ones you got from me? If so, you can run the plated up to full FMJ data, if necessary. For the Hi-Tek coated lead, you want to use lead data. IIRC, the coating gives a bit MORE resistance than plain lead... To be sure, you can contact Missouri Bullet and ask, check their website as they may have some info there, I don't remember.
    Mark,

The hi-tek ones are. The Berry's I got in a different trade. But the same question would apply to the Xtreme's I got from you too.

Title
    Premium Member
    Start with mid-range jacketed data for the plated, lead data for the Hi-Tek coated ones.
    disciplejourney.com

Title
    Premium Member
    The Berry's 124 gr. thick plated bullets I have shot in my 9mm's in the past are rated to 1500 fps. which is a higher velocity than I would ever be shooting them out of my handguns, so I just use jacketed bullet data and they shot fine, I use lead bullet data with my home cast PC'ed bullets.

Berry 124 gr. HBRN Thick Plated bullet specifications.
    https://www.berrysmfg.com/item/bp-9mm-356-124gr-hbrn-tp
    Last edited by Reloader762; 10-29-2018 at 05:09 PM.
    'Artisan' in Lead, Brass & Powder

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkDisciplinare View Post
    Start with mid-range jacketed data for the plated, lead data for the Hi-Tek coated ones.
    This right here