Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 420 de

Title
    Premium Member

420 de

Heard Desert Eagle is dropping this new caliber. It is the 50 AE necked down to accept a .44 cal bullet. Looks similar to the .458 Socom. Anyway, thought I would drop it for discussion. Personally I am not big into beastly pistols. Probably never get one, but I said I wouldn’t get a .44 and I ended up with one.

Title
    Premium Member
    Are you talking the 440 Cor-Bon. If so,been around for a great while.
    A 50A&E necked down to .429/.430". Had a 10" bbl for my DE about 20 years ago. --- SAWMAN
    Last edited by SAWMAN; 10-28-2018 at 11:35 AM.
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    That would be cool..... that would be a barrel change and useable in my current .50

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Title
    Premium Member
    The bbls were pretty expensive even back in the day. Actually pretty rare nowadays.
    IIRC mine cost >$400 20 years ago.
    It was a fairly hot round also. Shot mine with the 265gr Hornadys that were made for the 444Marlin. Was liveing/guiding in Maine back then and killed several bear,and heavy bodied deer with the gun. --- SAWMAN
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    Are you talking the 440 Cor-Bon. If so,been around for a great while.
    A 50A&E necked down to .429/.430". Had a 10" bbl for my DE about 20 years ago. --- SAWMAN
    No, this is supposed to be a really new rollout. A guy on another forum that I hit posted info on it. Think he may know someone working in house. He had a pic of it. Probably should have tried to get a copy.

Title
    Premium Member
    Will be interesting to see what they come up with. I would think that if Magnum Research wants to come up with something "new and better" they would develope a high pressure chambering based on something like 454Casull brass or maybe shortened 460S&W Mag brass. Thicker web ='s more pressure ='s better performance. --- SAWMAN
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Well, sometimes companies take a stab at something "new" by making as few changes as possible so it is cost effective and still hope to make $$$. Not saying you can't create a good product that way in some instances, but who knows.

Title
    Premium Member
    If you use the 50A&E as a basis for the new chambering you will be stuck with the 36K pressure thing.
    As with the 440 Cor-Bon you neck it down,switch to a lighter bullet,and you gain more speed. (I am a big advocate for,and carry every day,a Glock chambered in 357Sig.)
    I shot some very light bullets thru my 440,I believe that they were 180grs,and using H110 there was a hellova fireball.
    Where the 440 shined is with the heavier bullets (265 and 300grs). BUT . . . I did not like the fact that you could not use non-jacketed bullets because of the gas system. --- SAWMAN
    Last edited by SAWMAN; 10-29-2018 at 04:41 AM.
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    I hear you. Like I mentioned, sometimes companies don't listen to what we want and what would work the best. They look at the bottom line and hope they pull some easy profit out of products. If they went with other brass like you mentioned it would be more expensive for sure to develop.
    I shoot .22 TCM and boy that round is a dragon too. I like both the speedsters and the blockbusters. Don't shoot my median calibers as much anymore. I roll with the .204 Ruger, .17 HH, .460 Smith, .450 BM, .300 BLK, etc. The outer spectrums are what I use more recently. Doing more suppressed stuff so the big bores moving slow are fun.

Title
    Premium Member