Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: 6mm TCU

Title
    Premium Member

6mm TCU

Anyone making 6mm TCU brass? How involved/difficult is the process? Do you use military brass or commercial?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I make them here, but it has been a while. Made correctly they have lasted through many loadings in my contender custom shop barrel. The only mistake I made is trimming them to length before fire-forming them and they ended up a little short. Still been using them for quite a few years. I just used new commercial brass, I think Winchester, but would have to look to be sure. If using anything used, I'd just anneal before forming them.

Title
    Premium Member
    I do 7 tcu. It's not hard at all. I would suggest annealing at the beginning, especially if you aren't using new brass. Run a tapered expander up to 6mm, trim to length, load and fireform.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyeralan View Post
    I make them here, but it has been a while. Made correctly they have lasted through many loadings in my contender custom shop barrel. The only mistake I made is trimming them to length before fire-forming them and they ended up a little short. Still been using them for quite a few years. I just used new commercial brass, I think Winchester, but would have to look to be sure. If using anything used, I'd just anneal before forming them.
    I have a 7 TCU contender barrel, but when I bought it, it came with a bunch of brass. I didnt know exactly how the process worked. Did you fireform with bullets or some other type of wadding?

Title
    Premium Member
    I used bullets with moderate loads behind them, remember, it will draw some of the neck brass back to form the sharp shoulder so leave it a few thou long when forming.

Title
    Premium Member
    I used bullets with moderate loads behind them, remember, it will draw some of the neck brass back to form the sharp shoulder so leave it a few thou long when forming.
    I have made 7-30 brass from 30-30. Sounds very similar. Thanks for the advice. I may have a chance at a 6 TCU barrel so I wanted to figure out the process before I got it.

Title
    Premium Member
    I love my 6 TCU! It is a 15" TC Custom Shop barrel and it is a tack driver. I have shot at least 2 5-shot groups at 100 yds that measure just a touch outside the 1/2" mark. It is a great gun to carry for PA ground hogs and is very deadly to 200yds and a little further if I do my part, lol.

Title
    Premium Member
    I love my 6 TCU! It is a 15" TC Custom Shop barrel and it is a tack driver. I have shot at least 2 5-shot groups at 100 yds that measure just a touch outside the 1/2" mark. It is a great gun to carry for PA ground hogs and is very deadly to 200yds and a little further if I do my part, lol.
    What are your thoughts on it for whitetail deer?

Title
    Premium Member
    I shot a couple with my 7 TCU, but never tried loading the heavier bullets in the 6. Just have to be careful that you reach velocity high enough for expansion on whitetail.