Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which one?

Title
    Premium Member

Which one?

Thinking of getting either 6.5 Creedmoor or .308. Just looking for something else to play with. Leaning towards the Creedmoor. I’m sure I’d take this gun hunting but will also punch paper. Which one would you get and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Clopez View Post
    Thinking of getting either 6.5 Creedmoor or .308. Just looking for something else to play with. Leaning towards the Creedmoor. I’m sure I’d take this gun hunting but will also punch paper. Which one would you get and why?

I'm sold on the 6.5. It's ballistics are superb. Don't get me wrong, .308 is great but the 6.5 is the product of extensive testing. I like the fact that you can reach out to 1,000 yds with it.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    That’s a hard one for me.

I have several .308 cal rifles, 30-06, 308 Win, 303 Brit (though thats .311-.312) and 300 BLK. I also own a set of swaging dies for .308 Cal bullets, and of course all the dies and reloading equipment for each.

I am always hesitant to get a new caliber, but I have done along shooting and load development for 6.5 Creed and I think it’s an excellent cartridge.

I don’t think there’s a wrong answer here, you can just about do everything with a 6.5 that you can do with a .308 Win or 30-06. With a little less recoil.

Pair a 140 Matchburner with RL16 and you have a top notch target round. A Barnes 129gr TTSX coupled with RL16 will take just about any deer sized game out there. If you do your part I am sure Elk and Moose aren’t out of the question.

If I was to advise a customer, I think I would point them towards the 6.5 over the .308 simply because I know they will likely spend more time shooting due to the reduced recoil, and muzzle blast. However I would caution them that 6.5 is widely available but not as available as 308 Win. So store bought ammo may be a bit more expensive but a reloader wouldn’t care.

As far as the higher BC and the benefits there...eh, I think there it validity to it but I think sometimes that is overhyped. Proper bullet selection and you can get very similar ballistics out of both.

Reloading...it’s like knitting for men.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CodySPowell View Post
    I'm sold on the 6.5. It's ballistics are superb. Don't get me wrong, .308 is great but the 6.5 is the product of extensive testing. I like the fact that you can reach out to 1,000 yds with it.

Uhh people were reaching out to 1,000 with a 308 decades before the 6.5 Cr came along. Also, if the individual doesn’t have the area or ability to shoot 1,000 meters it’s a needless performance measurement for firearms selection.

Title
    Premium Member
    Right on Brandon. Thank you sir for saying it more . . . uhhhhh . . . "delicate" than I would have said it.
    Then there is the 224 Valkyrie. Then there is pretty much the ballistic equivelent to the 6.5C,the 260Rem. How about the 7mm-08. Or one of the PRC's.
    Hell . . . just jump onto the back of the 6.5-300Wby and start shooting 2000yds.
    Out of all the guys that I know that have bought one 6.5Creedmoor or another,NONE of them have shot it at 1000yds . . . and probably never will.
    Actually,I would rather have a 6Creedmoor . . . but then why not just get a 243Win. --- SAWMAN
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Go 260 and dont look back. You already reload.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Salyer View Post
    Uhh people were reaching out to 1,000 with a 308 decades before the 6.5 Cr came along. Also, if the individual doesn’t have the area or ability to shoot 1,000 meters it’s a needless performance measurement for firearms selection.
    I agree. Plus if you already have a 30.06 you're only gonna have to buy one caliber bullet and most likely the same weight. Since both a 308 and 30.06 were designed around the 165 to 168gr bullet. As far as recoil difference between the 6.5 and 308. I have a remington 700 tactical that came with a hogue stock from the factory. It takes alot of the recoil out so you can shoot alot without it being painful. I know this may cause some disgust but to me the 6.5 is a fad and will fade away to where there's the possibility of brass being harder to find whereas the 308 is a tried and true cartridge and most likely be around forever. My thought is. If its not broke don't try to fix it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Could go full Gucci gun and go 260 ackley or 260 terminator. I'm getting 3055 with 140 rdfs. Plus Wes' GWT 260 brass is top notch stuff.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I say you would be good either way. No problem reaching 1000 with either. Both excellent hunting rounds. Just go whichever way your heart decides.

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Salyer View Post
    Why would you not if you owned something you could with??