Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Title
    Premium Member

Loading your own defense ammo.

So is anyone out there reloading or planning on loading your own defense rounds? With the newly enforced "restrictions" by Speer/Federal/ATK on only selling 50 count LE boxes to credentialed LEOs and departments I have a hard time giving them anymore business. I'll load my own Gold Dots or switch to Remington, Magtech, Sig, etc. Note that this is in no way a slap at the LEO community, it is however a full on face slap at the manufacturers that think we "private citizens" should have to pay a 100% markup for quality, proven, ammunition.

And I'm also wondering if Speer will continue to sell Gold Dot bullets to handloaders in the common defensive pistol calibers on an ongoing basis. About the only silver lining I can see coming from this is that primers should become more available when their sales demand drops through the floor.

Title
    Administrator
    I load all my own, and use nothing but Gold Dots, in Nickel cases.
    Primers won't go down due to SD ammo things changing though
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    So is anyone out there reloading or planning on loading your own defense rounds? With the newly enforced "restrictions" by Speer/Federal/ATK on only selling 50 count LE boxes to credentialed LEOs and departments I have a hard time giving them anymore business. I'll load my own Gold Dots or switch to Remington, Magtech, Sig, etc. Note that this is in no way a slap at the LEO community, it is however a full on face slap at the manufacturers that think we "private citizens" should have to pay a 100% markup for quality, proven, ammunition.

And I'm also wondering if Speer will continue to sell Gold Dot bullets to handloaders in the common defensive pistol calibers on an ongoing basis. About the only silver lining I can see coming from this is that primers should become more available when their sales demand drops through the floor.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post

Nope too much liability..gives an attorney ammunition against you in a shoot..

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Title
    Administrator
    Never happened in history where someone has had that used against them.
    Odds of actually shooting someone in SD are so small, it will never matter in our lives, and ammo is not something they are going to dig into.
    Just my .02c
    Quote Originally Posted by coachk12 View Post

Title
    Premium Member
    I load all of my own SD ammo.
    Currently reloading for .380 ACP, 9MM,327 Federal Mag, 38 Special, .357 Mag, 40 S&W, 44 Mag, 45 ACP, .458 Socom, .223 Remington, 22-250,7MM Remington Mag, 30-06 and 340 Weatherby Mag, 50 Beowolf

Title
    Here's my results with my defensive hand loads!
    115gr Speer Gold Dots

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coachk12 View Post

In my state and good shoot is a good shoot. But I've yet to find a case that reloaded ammo was even brought up. If there's one out there, I'd like to see it.

Title
    Premium Member
    The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Sage View Post
    Never happened in history where someone has had that used against them.
    Odds of actually shooting someone in SD are so small, it will never matter in our lives, and ammo is not something they are going to dig into.
    Just my .02c
    Wes is 100% correct. That story is a fallacy perpetuated by Mas Ayoob and a few others who make good money testifying in court cases where the ammo manufacturers get named as co-defendants. It is in those gentlemen's self interests that you use factory ammo to defend themselves because they make beau coup bucks for very little work.
    Nemo me impune lacessit

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Sage View Post
    I load all my own, and use nothing but Gold Dots, in Nickel cases.
    Primers won't go down due to SD ammo things changing though
    Oh I know, those days where they were $0.01 apiece for all those years are long gone. But I'd just like to be able to buy Federal SPPs once in awhile for my tuned revos. I'll just run WSPs or up the springs and run what I can find.

Title
    Premium Member
    For my 45acp my defense load is a pulled black talon that i then relaxed to what my pistol likes. For my 45lc is a 250gr speer hp. For my shotgun in the house is a 410 with buck shot. 4 pellets one behind the other. Itd be like being shot 4 times in a row with a 45. A bullet is a bullet no matter who loaded it. My thought is even if it was taken to court as long as you don't say you loaded it how are they gonna know. All bullets were designed to kill. Its a projectile and it makes a hole.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk