Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Change sights Ruger 1911

So my dad gave me a early birthday gift. A Ruger 1911 model 6715 Talo edition. Gun is a heck of a shooter but I am wanting to replace both front and rear sights with some night sights. It came with Novak 3 dot sights but I've seen somewhere that there are 2 different dovetail sizes for the Novak sights. How do I measure to find what sights will fit? Plan on taking the gun to a gunsmith to install but would like to order the sights to take in with the gun.Thanks for any help.

Title
    Premium Member
    The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
    There are four different cuts available on production 1911s. They are the 'standard' GI cut, the Bomar style cut, the Novak, and the LPA. The Ruger has the standard Novak cut. Just be aware that Ruger mounts the rear sight a bit higher than other manufacturers so you will have to match the front and rear sights to each other.

There are counterfeit Novaks on the market to fit into the other styles but all true Novaks will have their cut.
    Nemo me impune lacessit