Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Title
    Premium Member
    I was going to try for grizzly or brown. But it all depends i have to do more research on what areas and everything i will be able to access and all of the differences so i probably wont be doing bear this year. But i was going to try for a bigger bear if possible. I am very torn on what i would like to buy at this point. I wish i had the cash to just buy like 15 of them. lol In time my collection will grow but for now i am just reading a lot of reviews and hoping i make a good decision. And everyone's comments is definitely helping to sway my decision.

Title
    Premium Member
    I would go as big as I could and still take the recoil. I've never hunted big bear so maybe someone that has chimes in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I’ve never hunted Big bears either, but I’ve always read, 300 magnum or bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    If you come down to NW Flah-Dah I will let you shoot my 416Rigby or my 10ga "carbine". Anything else will be peanuts in the felt recoil department. --- SAWMAN
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    If you come down to NW Flah-Dah I will let you shoot my 416Rigby or my 10ga "carbine". Anything else will be peanuts in the felt recoil department. --- SAWMAN
    Lol. No doubt. Personally if I'm near hunting i won't use anything under a 45/70.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    See ive never shot a 45/70 and havent really put much thought into it. Im leaning to a Bergara Ridge rifle because it has a threaded barrel allowing me to put a muzzle break on it if i should need it without having to have it threaded and its also around 7.5 pounds to help with recoil. Im leaning to either a 7mm or a 300 win. I was talking to a guy there that has one and said it recoiled like a 243 without the brake because of the weight and his was a 300. the next thing to consider is cost of ammo and cost to reload. I appreciate all of the tips thus far. I have zero intentions of hunting with a brake on but to get more range time in the brake doesnt really have much effect on accuracy and i can get dialed in good and then remove it make the slight adjustments and head off. I want to get a lot of rounds down range not just 20 so I want to be comfortable shooting this thing.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 300blkoutguy View Post
    See ive never shot a 45/70 and havent really put much thought into it. Im leaning to a Bergara Ridge rifle because it has a threaded barrel allowing me to put a muzzle break on it if i should need it without having to have it threaded and its also around 7.5 pounds to help with recoil. Im leaning to either a 7mm or a 300 win. I was talking to a guy there that has one and said it recoiled like a 243 without the brake because of the weight and his was a 300. the next thing to consider is cost of ammo and cost to reload. I appreciate all of the tips thus far. I have zero intentions of hunting with a brake on but to get more range time in the brake doesnt really have much effect on accuracy and i can get dialed in good and then remove it make the slight adjustments and head off. I want to get a lot of rounds down range not just 20 so I want to be comfortable shooting this thing.
    First it'll depend on the rifle whether you'd enjoy a 45/70. While the Marlin is a good gun it does give a good thump. I've heard that a Winchester isn't as bad. It's because of the design of the stock from my understanding. If you can find one a Browning high wall does really well. I've had one of those as well as a Sharpes reproduction which has less recoil of them all. It's heavy but extremely accurate. I don't know the weight of the lever guns or the high wall but the Sharpes is around the 11lb mark. If you get the Quigley rifle it's about 13lbs. For deer I used a 405gr bullet and for bear I used a 500gr. Both were cast. Very fun to shoot and hunt with and good at long ranges as well. Yes there's others that may be considered better but it does work and has been proven. I've heard to many first hand stories where a high velocity bullet doesn't put down a grizzly and it pretty much pissed the bear off is why I suggest the 45/70. I'm a 45 nut anyway but I do have other calibers. I'd also suggest contacting some of the companies that have guided bear hunts and ask their recommendations for a bear gun. After all they have the most experience doing it. It'll all boil down to what you feel comfortable using. Good luck in your research and hunting.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk