Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: 6.8 spc

Title
    Premium Member

6.8 spc

What bullets are folks loading for their 6.8 SPC for whitetail deer? This will be in a 23" TC Contender barrel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Give the Hornady 120gr SST a try. They have a high B.C. and are a known and proven killer of hogs and deer.
    I have several one shot kills on hogs >250lbs from my 10.5" AR/6.8. These were factory loads but I have since duplicated the factory loads speed given the 10.5" bbl length.
    From my 18" 6.8 I shoot a 85gr Barnes TSX @ just under 3100fps. This is my night time hunting gun using a thermal sight. If the hog action is slow we call coyotes. I want the extra speed and trajectory produced by the light,high speed bullet. These bullets kill the bigger hogs well also if put square on the shoulder. --- SAWMAN
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    Give the Hornady 120gr SST a try. They have a high B.C. and are a known and proven killer of hogs and deer.
    I have several one shot kills on hogs >250lbs from my 10.5" AR/6.8. These were factory loads but I have since duplicated the factory loads speed given the 10.5" bbl length.
    From my 18" 6.8 I shoot a 85gr Barnes TSX @ just under 3100fps. This is my night time hunting gun using a thermal sight. If the hog action is slow we call coyotes. I want the extra speed and trajectory produced by the light,high speed bullet. These bullets kill the bigger hogs well also if put square on the shoulder. --- SAWMAN
    Thanks for the tips. I actually just ordered some 95gr Barnes, hope to get them loaded up next week.

Have you ever loaded any 130gr bullets?

Title
    Premium Member
    Never have sir,but there is loading info out there.
    IMO . . . the Barnes 110gr TSX is the best killer of the larger animals at the "reasonable" ranges. This includes the larger northern white tailed deer,caribou,and the larger hogs. It would be marginal for black bear of the "medium" size.
    While the Hornady 120gr SST is a good bullet,they tend the shed their jacket rather quickly on the medium to larger hogs. Although they do kill good.
    I tend to tell people . . . instead of going up in bullet weight,just go up in bullet quality. I really wish that Nosler would come out with a 115gr Partition in .277". --- SAWMAN
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    Never have sir,but there is loading info out there.
    IMO . . . the Barnes 110gr TSX is the best killer of the larger animals at the "reasonable" ranges. This includes the larger northern white tailed deer,caribou,and the larger hogs. It would be marginal for black bear of the "medium" size.
    While the Hornady 120gr SST is a good bullet,they tend the shed their jacket rather quickly on the medium to larger hogs. Although they do kill good.
    I tend to tell people . . . instead of going up in bullet weight,just go up in bullet quality. I really wish that Nosler would come out with a 115gr Partition in .277". --- SAWMAN
    I found some 110gr accubonds, but it looks like most of the 115gr bullets are match bullets.

A lot of the load data available is for brass using LR primers. The brass I have is SR primers. Is it interchangeable?