Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Is it feasible to resize 158gr LSWC for 9mm use?

My earliest reloading was done for .38spl/.357mag. It really was the ideal cartridge to learn reloading for, as it's straight walled and the revolver obviously doesn't have any feeding issues like an autoloader.

Anyhow, I'm setup for casting 158gr bullets in .358. I know that's on the heavy side for 9mm, but I do have a CZ75 compact that loves 147gr FMJ bullets. I've read that's partially on account of the additional rifle grooves in the CZ barrels. Anyhow, I've thinking it'd be a cheap and easy test to resize some of existing lead cast bullets down to .356 and see how that goes. Assuming I get the correct lead hardness I think projectile shape might be the only other concern.

I'm not thinking this would be make match grade rounds, but having the ability to turn scrap lead into 9mm pills in a pinch seems worth exploring.

Any wisdom is appreciated.

Thanks
    -S

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmurfHunter View Post
    My earliest reloading was done for .38spl/.357mag. It really was the ideal cartridge to learn reloading for, as it's straight walled and the revolver obviously doesn't have any feeding issues like an autoloader.

Anyhow, I'm setup for casting 158gr bullets in .358. I know that's on the heavy side for 9mm, but I do have a CZ75 compact that loves 147gr FMJ bullets. I've read that's partially on account of the additional rifle grooves in the CZ barrels. Anyhow, I've thinking it'd be a cheap and easy test to resize some of existing lead cast bullets down to .356 and see how that goes. Assuming I get the correct lead hardness I think projectile shape might be the only other concern.

I'm not thinking this would be make match grade rounds, but having the ability to turn scrap lead into 9mm pills in a pinch seems worth exploring.

Thanks
    -S
    Nope way different bullet weight and profiles.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Title
    Administrator
    I personally don't recommend it, but I do have a local guy shooting the Xtreme 158gr SWC in his 9mm.
    Can it be done, yep.
    Would I play with it, probably not.
    At the end of the day reloading allows some room to go outside the box, but you have to consider all possible issues for sure

Title
    Premium Member
    I'm not looking for trouble, mainly curious.

Suppose instead of a 158gr LSWC, I had these round nose 124gr:

http://missouribullet.com/details.ph...=5&secondary=9

That nullifies any weight difference between the cartridges, and I have to think a lead round nose could only feed better than the truncate tip.

Where I'm going is, with cheap lead, my old .38spl loads were near .22lr costs per round. I think my .38spl plinking recipe was something like $0.08/ea

9mm is tough, as it's a faster rate of fire, and higher capacity. It'd difficult to get much economy of scale hand loading it compared to other cartridges.

Title
    Administrator
    Size them .356 and give it a go. I have guys buying and shooting 165gr bullets in 9mm all the time. Xtreme and Rainier both make a 165gr 9mm bullet now
    I'm not looking for trouble, mainly curious.

Suppose instead of a 158gr LSWC, I had these round nose 124gr:

http://missouribullet.com/details.ph...=5&secondary=9

That nullifies any weight difference between the cartridges, and I have to think a lead round nose could only feed better than the truncate tip.

Where I'm going is, with cheap lead, my old .38spl loads were near .22lr costs per round. I think my .38spl plinking recipe was something like $0.08/ea

9mm is tough, as it's a faster rate of fire, and higher capacity. It'd difficult to get much economy of scale hand loading it compared to other cartridges.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Sage View Post
    Size them .356 and give it a go. I have guys buying and shooting 165gr bullets in 9mm all the time. Xtreme and Rainier both make a 165gr 9mm bullet now
    Thats pretty crazy. My next order is post-Christmas, but I will order some and try that just to try it. I’d imagine it essentially mimics a 38 Spec.

Title
    Administrator
    Less really
    Was for the PCC guys, but not enough interest and sales, so we only do them in limited runs
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Salyer View Post
    Thats pretty crazy. My next order is post-Christmas, but I will order some and try that just to try it. I’d imagine it essentially mimics a 38 Spec.

Title
    Premium Member

Thanks
    -S
    Depending on your particular pistol and what it will chamber you may not need to size the bullets much at all, my CANIK TP9SA feeds an shoots the most accurately with my cast lead bullets sized to .357". There are lots of factory sub-sonic loads out there in the 158 gr. range these days for suppressed 9mm handguns and carbines so the bullet weight is not really an issues. Lots of tired and true info out there on loading 158 gr. cast loads in the 9mm, just Google 158 gr. 9mm loads.

Here is a pretty good read on the subject.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/editori...mm-luger/99514
    'Artisan' in Lead, Brass & Powder