Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Portable/small footprint reloading station ideas please.

Hey all, I'm a welder and woodworker and have some plans to make a simple take-down/ portable reloading station to sell. I need your input as to what sizes and features would be best to incorporate into this. So far I've though about making either a whole stand with space for a press, scale, and powder thrower or just a table mounted setup that can be clamped to a desk or kitchen table with space for the same things. Eventually I'd like to make both. Here's what I need from you:

Which of these would there be more interest in? A whole unit (stand with legs and reloading surface that can be moved/stuffed in a closet) or a smaller unit that can be moved and clamped to an existing table?

If option one, how tall from floor to press mounting surface?

Powder thrower space above, below, or at same level as press mounting surface?

Primary construction material wood or metal? (Legs for a stand would definitely be metal for strength)

How much table space would you prefer for either design?

Any other input or ideas are very welcome.

Thanks for the help everyone!
    Last edited by Travis21; 10-15-2018 at 11:59 AM.

Title
    Administrator
    Depends on the space I suppose.
    The way I load, I need too much space to do it remote like that, but a press mounted to a plate, that can be clamped to a counter or table would work.
    My bench is set at 31", but that is to accommodate my chair height

Title
    Premium Member
    That's how I feel. Space is essential. I've actually made a few benches like this for people here in Utah and sold them for 400 but I can't ship them all over the country. I see lots of posts about needing a portable or small station for apartment dwellers and people with limited space so I'm hoping to step in to help those people out.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Travis21; 10-15-2018 at 12:24 PM.

Title
    Administrator
    Something like the old TV Trays would work decent.
    Lee makes a portable steel one that looks ok for limited space.
    Maybe take a look at that one for an idea. It has rails for bins on either side of the press too

Title
    Premium Member
    The one portable that I saw I liked is no longer being made. It had a weird name “The C4M3RON”. Unfortunately it was done being made before I could get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Just looked up up some old photos and reviews of that. Looks kinda like what I had in mind for a table top. The heavy weight, no clamp needed Design is pretty unique. I think I could probably make one similar. Not positive about the mounting plate because I don’t have a slew of presses to measure for the holes/tracks but I’ll figure something out. It’s definitely a fantastic design. I wonder if it was the increasing cost of metal and shipping charges that drove it under. We ship lots of steel from my company and shipping charges are easily one of our biggest expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Clopez View Post
    The one portable that I saw I liked is no longer being made. It had a weird name “The C4M3RON”. Unfortunately it was done being made before I could get one.

Last edited by Travis21; 10-15-2018 at 02:56 PM.

Title
    Premium Member

Portable/small footprint reloading station ideas please.

Shipping is tough especially right now. This year was especially tough with the shortage and cost being driven up because of it. I wonder if you could get dimensions from press manufacturers as far as hole placement etc. just a thought.