Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY case lube

Title
    Premium Member

DIY case lube

After having tried numerous name brand lubes with mixed results I decided to try the IPA/lanolin mix on a new batch of 223 this weekend.

It was like a hot knife through butter. I resized 2000 cases without a single stuck case. I'll never use anything else again.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
    Going broke one caliber at a time.

Title
    1 pint Rubbing alcohol:2 tablespoons lard.
    Nuke the lard so it blends, spray on cases.

Title
    Premium Member
    I copied the info below from another forum and started using it in a 1:10 ratio, so far in the last month since starting to use it no issues whatsoever.

Home made case lube:
    Have used a lot of them over the years .... but this is all I use now. Easiest, cheapest, best spray on a guy can use in my opinion. (In reality, the "best" is what works for you) If you try it, you will like it. A little goes a long long way. Trust me .... this stuff works.

One Part (1 oz) liquid lanolin https://www.amazon.com/Home-Health-L...in%2Bpure&th=1
    Twelve Parts (12 oz) 99% isopropyl alcohol or red bottle HEET (same same) http://www.amazon.com/ISO-HEET-28202-Fu ... B000V4HC7Y

Warm Liquid Lanolin and mix to Iso ... shake. Done. 13 oz of mix is enough for over 10,000 cases.

Not my idea .... I found it here. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/30517 ... tards.html

I don't use it because I am cheap ... I use it because it's the best lube I have ever tried....but it is cheap and easy to use too.

And for those who like video's ..... this one about sums it up (not my video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0117UuXiSS4

use a technique when spraying that hits some of the inside necks. I put 500 case in an empty gallon ice cream bucket and swirl them around. 1/3 of the necks will be looking up at me. Spray twice .... repeat twice .... let them dry a little ...and away ya go.

try it you will like it.

Title
    Premium Member
    I use the Lanolin. My issue is getting off the cases after resize. I use ultrasonic clean and alcohol to get the lube off. I do not have a dry tumbler. I also have the Frankford wet tumbler but was hoping to use the ultrasonic cleaner to remove the case lube. I am going to try woolite as I have read it will remove the lanolin lube

Title
    Premium Member
    I agree with ya, I use the same recipe and I’ve never had a problem.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wm Dunn View Post
    use a technique when spraying that hits some of the inside necks. I put 500 case in an empty gallon ice cream bucket and swirl them around. 1/3 of the necks will be looking up at me. Spray twice .... repeat twice .... let them dry a little ...and away ya go.

try it you will like it.
    You don't get any Air-lube dimples on the shoulders due to lube on the shoulders??? I just lube the straight walls to the shoulder and inside clean necks.
    [I][B][COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=4]Some people never have time to do it right the first time but always find time to do it twice[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/I]

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    You don't get any Air-lube dimples on the shoulders due to lube on the shoulders??? I just lube the straight walls to the shoulder and inside clean necks.
    I think the secret is getting a spray bottle that really atomizes the spray really fine. I stole one my wife had that works really well.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post

I was was concerned about this at first too but like Wm Dunn said, if the bottle is good and you don’t absolutely soak the cases, it’s totally fine. I’ve been using RCBS case slick spray and it’s been amazingly fast. A couple pumps aimed about 45 degrees down at the cases in the tray from multiple sides, 2 or 3 minutes for the Alcohol to evaporate, and then sizing. No dimples or stuck cases so far.

Title
    Premium Member
    I use the Heet and lanolin. I just put my cases in a gallon zip lock bag, spray about 3 or 4 time and shake the bag. It seems to work great. I have found that it doesn't take much of the mixture. Sometimes I will just do a few cases for my 243 and the lube left in the bag from the last time I used it is enough.

Title
    Premium Member
    I use the lanolin/99% alc mix but I first wet tumble all my brass then I’ll spray and resize them. After I get a batch of let’s say 100 resized I’ll throw them in my dry tumbler with home treated corncob. About 30 min and they are good to go. Virtually no lube is left in my experience but I have basically homemade all my equipment minus presses and dies. YMMV