Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title
    Premium Member

Commercial cast bullets for 45-70

Looking for a commercial cast bullet for a newer Marlin 1895 in 45-70 for deer hunting. I'm concerned about the commercial hard cast bullets, whether they perform well in game. What recommendations do y'all have experience wise with accuracy and performance in game? Also I'm looking at a 350 or 405 grain bullet pushed around 1500 fps.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Buckle1080; 10-02-2018 at 09:30 AM.

Title
    Premium Member
    I’ve used laser cast 405gr bullets. They are very accurate out of my 1895G. I’ve only ever shot one deer with that bullet, it was a neck shot on a small buck at about 30 yards. That shot out of any rifle would’ve put the animal down, so it is not a testimony at how well that bullet performs on game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Administrator
    We have Brass, and 405gr SNS Cast bullets on the website.
    Lots of guys using them for hunting here on the forum.
    We do have some jacketed options as well for faster speeds and longer shots.
    www.sagesreloadingsupply.com

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks Wes! Was looking at those the other day. I just was curious as to how a harder bullet would perform on deer.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    I’ve used laser cast 405gr bullets. They are very accurate out of my 1895G. I’ve only ever shot one deer with that bullet, it was a neck shot on a small buck at about 30 yards. That shot out of any rifle would’ve put the animal down, so it is not a testimony at how well that bullet performs on game.

How fast were ya running your loads? Was there a lot of tissue damage and blood shot meat, or was it like what some folks say that ya can eat right up to the hole?

Title
    Administrator
    They punch big holes. Cast bullets won't normally expand, but have no need with that kind of mass behind them
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckle1080 View Post
    How fast were ya running your loads? Was there a lot of tissue damage and blood shot meat, or was it like what some folks say that ya can eat right up to the hole?

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks Wes! New to the cast game especially for hunting except for shooting slugs.

Title
    Premium Member
    When I first started guiding in Maine I carried a older Marlin 1895 for backup when hunting moose and black bear. I had the bbl chopped to 16.5 inches and initally had a peep sight installed in the rear.
    I started out loading the older 350gr Hornady round nose bullets for the gun,which did a good job when it struck bone going in.
    Shortly I switched to a 405gr WFNGC bullet from Cast Performance. These bullets are cast hard. The nose/meplate is nearly 1/3 inch. The wide flat nose makes a hole that will not plug up as easily,and lets the animal bleed. Kinda like a leather punch.
    These types of bullets are great also because there is no jacket to shed when going thru the animal. The hard lead just kinda folds back into a "blob" and continues to penetrate.
    My loads were shot thru moose breaking BOTH shoulders on the way through. They went thru every black bear that I hit. I only recovered two bullets that went thru moose then into a fir tree.
    Would reccomend that you move this type of bullet at the fastest speed that is safely possible.
    I killed several of the bigger deer with this gun also. They bleed heavy and you can see the energy transfer on impact.
    I had a Leupold 1-4X24 Heavy Duplex scope on my gun. --- SAWMAN
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks Sawman! Sounds like great performance!

Title
    Premium Member
    The neck shot on that small buck didn’t do too much damage. I don’t remember the velocity but it it was a near max load. Was a clean through shot, not much meat loss if I remember correctly. I’ve killed numerous deer and hogs with the cast performance wfngc bullets out of a 44 mag rifle and 480ruger rifle. Never recovered a bullet, minimal meat loss, some animals ran some just layers down and took the long nap.