Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

palmetto State armory

Does anyone know where Palmetto state armory get their barrels from. Im looking at 6.5 grendel. Yes I know creedmore is better but im not getting that. Im wondering if the stainless Steel barrels produce moa or better results. I know the FN makes the cold hammer forged but its not SS. If anyone can post pics or advise of the accuracy, that would be awesome.

Title
    Premium Member
    I bought a 223 upper a couple years ago with SS barrel. I was not impressed at all. Best I could get with factory match ammo was about 4 MOA. The best I could get with handloads was 3-4 MOA. I did everything I could with rebuilding and torque specs etc. Still the same problem. Finally decided to buy a new barrel and try that out. Was gonna buy a ballistic advantage when I got a notification that Midway had some of their barrels on clearance. So I said what the hell, I'll grab one for $65 and if it sucks, it's gonna have to suck really hard to outsuck that PSA barrel. After finding a decent load on the new barrel it's a 0.5 MOA on the regular with 77smk. On the other hand I've read reviews of people having good luck with PSA barrels. Maybe I just got a bad one? Maybe someone else can chime in on their experience with their barrels.
    "Do I reload to shoot more, or do I shoot to reload more?" 30-378 Weatherby, .300 RUM, 7mm Rem Mag, 6.5 Creedmoor, .223/5.56, .375 H&H, .40 S&W, 10mm, .357 SIG

Title
    Premium Member
    thanks for your input Southern

Title
    Premium Member
    Everything I've heard is to stay away from the Freedom line, and I have. I've never bought an AR from them for accuracy, but I've bought about 4 non-freedom uppers from them and loved everything I got.

I had one issue - one of the takedown pin holes was slightly off - it worked on the lower I planned it for, but when I switched it to use temporarily on another lower, I couldn't get the forward pin through. I called them, they said to send it to them and they would fix it. I did and I had it back fixed inside of a week. Didn't cost me a penny.

I have had nothing but good experiences with PSA. And purchased numerous firearms, ammo, and parts from them. I even chose one of their lowers to make my SBR on. Thousands of rounds through and not a problem.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattiooo View Post
    Everything I've heard is to stay away from the Freedom line, and I have. I've never bought an AR from them for accuracy, but I've bought about 4 non-freedom uppers from them and loved everything I got.

I had one issue - one of the takedown pin holes was slightly off - it worked on the lower I planned it for, but when I switched it to use temporarily on another lower, I couldn't get the forward pin through. I called them, they said to send it to them and they would fix it. I did and I had it back fixed inside of a week. Didn't cost me a penny.

I have had nothing but good experiences with PSA. And purchased numerous firearms, ammo, and parts from them. I even chose one of their lowers to make my SBR on. Thousands of rounds through and not a problem.
    Good to see you had good experiences with them. Like I said, I could have just gotten a bad barrel because I changed to a normally priced $139 barrel from Midway and it shoots 0.5 MOA now. The problem with mass produced lines/parts/etc is there tend to be more bad ones popped out than top tier lines which have higher QC.
    "Do I reload to shoot more, or do I shoot to reload more?" 30-378 Weatherby, .300 RUM, 7mm Rem Mag, 6.5 Creedmoor, .223/5.56, .375 H&H, .40 S&W, 10mm, .357 SIG

Title
    Premium Member
    Heard wilson made the ss barrels and I read it on the internet so it had to be true. I've had 2 palmetto ARs and have shot them for accuracy yet but both functioned flawlessly. Have some 75gr hornady loaded up for the 1in7 wylde upper.

Title
    Premium Member
    The thing with PSA is you really have to read what they say you will receive and don’t assume you will get anything else. I’ve built several using their uppers and always had a good rifle.

As for barrel sourcing; The only thing I know for sure is the cold hammer forged barrels are supposedly FN. They shoot good enough but it usually tacks on a C note over one of the other barrels.

Title
    Premium Member
    I use to live about 45 minutes away from PSA in Columbia, SC. I have bought several of their "blemished" upper and lower receivers along with barrels, and part kits. I could never see the "blemish" on their receivers and the rifles I put together with their components have ran and shot flawlessly for me. I would not hesitate to purchase more from them.

Title
    Premium Member
    I am yet another person who has purchased PSA parts and never had issue with them. Granted, it isn’t a super duper tack driver like other makers but I have other rifles for that. My PSA rifles will put rounds on target and fairly center mass all day long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk