Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Title
    Premium Member

223 for Deer Hunting

Okay, I know this is probably going to be a controversial subject, but I'm not looking to get into ethics here. I've killed more than my fair share of deer with this caliber and am confident in it.

Backstory is... I'm helping a buddy of mine take a young lady with Cerebral Palsy on her first deer hunt at a local farm here in town. The young lady is very small and frail and we've decided on this caliber because I have a youth model TC Contender that is VERY small and easy for her to use.

Anyone hunted deer with the 50gr Zmax? I also have some of the 62 gr bullets around but am not opposed to buying a specific bullet for this. Cost is NO option here.

Title
    Premium Member
    I'm currently in Eastern Montana where the coyotes are thick and the shots can get long.
    I'm a big fan of the 65 grain Sierra gamekings myself. What's the twist of your riffling?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Title
    Administrator
    Our biggest seller, and best reported bullet is the 65gr Sierra as mentioned above.
    I have had customers drop a lot of deer, hogs, etc with them, and they are SUPER accurate

Title
    Premium Member
    First off thank you. That's a good thing you and your buddy are doing. I've taken a few handicap people on hunts. They truly appreciate it and will talk about it forever. Not many people will take the time to help those that can't go on their own. Now to your post. I haven't used a 50gr but I have used a 55gr. I don't see why the 50 wouldn't work just fine. Good luck and I hope she gets a nice one.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I have killed tons of deer with a 223Rem or 5.56X45. I believe that the "secret" is . . . fast twist + speed + well made bullet. I prefer the Barnes 55gr TSX. Put it on the shoulder,hit bone going in.
    Does a fine job.
    Down here quite a few people hunt with the 223/5.56. Single shots,bolt guns,AR's . . . they use them all.
    SHOT PLACEMENT is #1 . . . then ^^^^ above. --- SAWMAN
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CritterGitter View Post
    I'm a big fan of the 65 grain Sierra gamekings myself. What's the twist of your riffling?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    It looks like its 1:12. I'll have to go look up load data on them!

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Sage View Post
    Our biggest seller, and best reported bullet is the 65gr Sierra as mentioned above.
    I have had customers drop a lot of deer, hogs, etc with them, and they are SUPER accurate
    Awesome. I'll jump on the site and take a look

Quote Originally Posted by EUDE75 View Post
    First off thank you. That's a good thing you and your buddy are doing. I've taken a few handicap people on hunts. They truly appreciate it and will talk about it forever. Not many people will take the time to help those that can't go on their own. Now to your post. I haven't used a 50gr but I have used a 55gr. I don't see why the 50 wouldn't work just fine. Good luck and I hope she gets a nice one.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk
    Thanks for that. We both try to do what we can. I make it a point to let any kid that wants to hunt come hunt with me.

Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    I have killed tons of deer with a 223Rem or 5.56X45. I believe that the "secret" is . . . fast twist + speed + well made bullet. I prefer the Barnes 55gr TSX. Put it on the shoulder,hit bone going in.
    Does a fine job.
    Down here quite a few people hunt with the 223/5.56. Single shots,bolt guns,AR's . . . they use them all.
    SHOT PLACEMENT is #1 . . . then ^^^^ above. --- SAWMAN

These are AR deer so they arent big northern monsters. I've killed plenty just like you say.

Title
    Administrator
    If it is a 1:12 a lighter bullet will be needed. Maybe do the 50gr if that is the case.

Title
    Premium Member
    My wife uses 55grn remington corlok and has taken a deer the last 2 years with them here in southwest arkansas. Ran no more than 25 yards. Also remeber shot placement is key.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    If your gun has 1:12 twist bbl,remember that the solid copper bullets are somewhat longer than the same weight bullet that has lead in it's makeup.
    If bullet is of the "no lead" makeup,I would not use anything over a 50gr. If lead core a 55gr should be good/ok.
    Remembering that back in the day when I carried a XM177E2 with it's 12 twist bbl . . . we tried to switch from the M193 to the M855 (55 to 62gr) and they would tumble (destabilize) after leaving the short bbls. --- SAWMAN
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    If your gun has 1:12 twist bbl,remember that the solid copper bullets are somewhat longer than the same weight bullet that has lead in it's makeup.
    If bullet is of the "no lead" makeup,I would not use anything over a 50gr. If lead core a 55gr should be good/ok.
    Remembering that back in the day when I carried a XM177E2 with it's 12 twist bbl . . . we tried to switch from the M193 to the M855 (55 to 62gr) and they would tumble (destabilize) after leaving the short bbls. --- SAWMAN
    1/9 twist 16 inch ar

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk