Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Qustion for the .44Mag Loaders

Anyone tried AA #7 for .44Mag with 240gr. JHP or JSP? I did not see it in the Hornady or Nosler books.

I am eyeballing a Ruger Redhawk with either 4.2" or 5.5" barrel as a woods carry gun; protection not hunting. From what I have read the typical 2400, H110/W296, AA #9 seem do to better with longer barrels. Hence why I thought that AA #7 might be a good fit.

Title
    I have great luck with w296

Title
    Administrator
    AA#9 for high velocities and low recoil. I have used AA#7 for everyday paper shooting loads with great results

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Sage View Post
    AA#9 for high velocities and low recoil.
    That’s the direction I’d like to go.

For some reason I’m thinking that H110/W296 don’t like lower charges. Might only be true for .357Mag?

Title
    Premium Member
    I'm having good luck with 300-MP for magnum loads in 44 and 357. It's got a wider range than H110.

Title
    AA9 & Win296 are twins.
    AA7 was fantastic for 350-405gr bullets at max charge in my Ruger Blackhawk .45Colt with 4-5/8" bbl.
    My Redhawk had a 7" bbl which was long enough to squeeze max velocity from AA9.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sagela View Post
    AA9 & Win296 are twins.
    From the perspective of burn rates? Or that neither like to be run at reduced loads?

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by RustE View Post
    From the perspective of burn rates? Or that neither like to be run at reduced loads?
    Results. Both are fine under heavy bullets; both deliver ferocious cylinder gap and muzzle flashes at max loads/medium barrel lengths
    and both delivered the same velocity/accuracy in my 7" Redhawk at max loads.

Title
    Premium Member
    Just an update, to keep all the information together:

I saw a copy of the Sierra 5th Edition manual at a local store. It has their Sports Master 240gr JHC and 300gr JSP bullets listed with AA #7. The velocity numbers for both were quite good.

Also, I am looking more at getting the Ruger Redhawk with 5.5" barrel. Seemed to balance pretty well in my hands (although with an empty cylinder) and should give a bit more velocity for the magnum loads.

Title
    Premium Member
    H110 does very, very well with 240s. Anything magnum, really. Make sure all cases are trimmed uniformly, and use a heavy roll crimp.