Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turret press?

Title
    Premium Member

Turret press?

On the advice of a coworker I went a different gun store. Nice small shop. Anyway they had a Lee 3 hole turret press laying on the floor next to some other reloading equipment. What's the benefit of going with a turret press over a single stage? I've only used a Lee single stage press. Some reason I can't stop thinking about this turret press.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
    A turret press allows you to complete multiple functions in successive order to the same case. For example, on my Lee four hole turret I load a tumbled case and station one deprimes and sizes the case (and inserts a new primer when the ram is lowered). Station two flares the mouth of the case and drops a powder charge. Stations three and four seat the bullet and then crimp the case. In about 15 seconds I go from a tumbled case to a completed round.
    Nemo me impune lacessit

Title
    Premium Member
    Look at getting the 4 hole press vs the 3. Allows you to use the 4th die (crimp) that’s included in many sets.

Title
    Premium Member
    ReneeMicelli said it well. That is why Turret presses make it quicker. You can set all your dies AND powder measure. In under 1 minute you have a loaded round. You load for more than 1 caliber? Buy more Turret heads for each caliber. Once you set your dies you won't need to do it again.

Title
    Premium Member
    I would suggest a 4 hole turret press as well. Also, the auto indexing rod can be removed on the lee press if you want to load one step at a time, which I do when loading rifle rounds, or working up new loads.

Title
    Premium Member
    I have a 3-hole turret, but I use my single stage press to prep my brass. I resize and deprime using a single stage just because I like to deprime before wet tumbling my brass. I then use the turret to charge the case, seat the bullet, and crimp.

Title
    Premium Member
    I have several presses, different brands. If I could only have one press it would be the Lee Classic four hole press. extra turret heads are only $12 or so, and the press is not expensive compared to others.

Title
    Premium Member
    Okay thanks for responses. When I call them tomorrow what kind of price would be decent for a hardly used one? Thanks.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Racinglizard82 View Post
    Okay thanks for responses. When I call them tomorrow what kind of price would be decent for a hardly used one? Thanks.

Find out what it comes with. A new 4 hole classic turret press is about $100. A used 3 hole turret I’d pay no more than $50 .... but, given a new one is $100 I’d lean towards new.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Racinglizard82 View Post

How’d you make out?