Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbeaton View Post
    I live in north central North Dakota and have been wanting to find a “dog town” to shoot on. We don’t have many in my area but there are a ton to the west. I guess I need to head west and start chatting up some farmers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's worth the time, especially as close as you are. Stop in every small place you pass and ask. Often they'll give names and directions- seldom addresses.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Title
    It's worth remembering these extremely rural folks aren't simple, they just live simpler lives than we do in Seattle, Dallas, Albany, etc.
    They have and use computers and cell phones but the services are so iffy they haven't become dependent on them.
    Amusing story with me as the 'butt of the joke'...

I'm way out in the brush shooting dogs but still within view of the ranch house when it got so danged hot
    I left my prone position where I was absorbing too much radiant heat and returned to the truck...and remembered
    I'd picked up an AC recharge bottle on the way out here but hadn't installed it yet... no AC.
    OK, 20 more minutes of heat to endure. Lifted the hood and got started.
    3-4 minutes later here comes a truck from the ranch house. Before he arrived where I was, I'd figured out what
    he wanted... to help! He didn't know I was installing freon but the raised hood was like a smoke signal 150yrs ago.
    He thought I needed help and he didn't have to think about it, he just came a-runnin'. And he was just a hired hand!

I can spend hours talking with folks like that - and usually I just mention I'm in the area shooting prairie dogs and
    get INVITED to shoot at their place.

Title
    Premium Member
    I went with family, my uncle did all the organizing. Everyone else just shot. ��. If I go again I will take a few caliber for different ranges. Probably .17m2, .218 Bee, 221 Fireball, and .224 Valkyrie. I have taken some PDs deep with my old .22-250 though. It may end up going.

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sagela View Post
    It's worth remembering these extremely rural folks aren't simple, they just live simpler lives than we do in Seattle, Dallas, Albany, etc.
    They have and use computers and cell phones but the services are so iffy they haven't become dependent on them.
    Amusing story with me as the 'butt of the joke'...

I'm way out in the brush shooting dogs but still within view of the ranch house when it got so danged hot
    I left my prone position where I was absorbing too much radiant heat and returned to the truck...and remembered
    I'd picked up an AC recharge bottle on the way out here but hadn't installed it yet... no AC.
    OK, 20 more minutes of heat to endure. Lifted the hood and got started.
    3-4 minutes later here comes a truck from the ranch house. Before he arrived where I was, I'd figured out what
    he wanted... to help! He didn't know I was installing freon but the raised hood was like a smoke signal 150yrs ago.
    He thought I needed help and he didn't have to think about it, he just came a-runnin'. And he was just a hired hand!

I can spend hours talking with folks like that - and usually I just mention I'm in the area shooting prairie dogs and
    get INVITED to shoot at their place.
    That's the type of people I grew up around, always willing to help. [emoji846]

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Title
    If any of you ever take a trip through PA, specifically my area, let me know. We can pop off groundhogs at 300yds all day....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddydawg75 View Post
    If any of you ever take a trip through PA, specifically my area, let me know. We can pop off groundhogs at 300yds all day....

I grew up reading stories of PA groundhog shoots - the testing ground for much of the wildcat cartridge development. I'd love to.

Title
    If you’re good at prairie dogs you’ll smoke the hogs.... they are much bigger, and if there is more than one it will run back to its hole to give you a chance to reload.

Title
    Quit, man
    You got me looking for travel money.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddydawg75 View Post

What part of PA you in? I'm near ocean city Maryland.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Title
    York County, approx 20 miles over MD line