Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member
    I'm currently in Eastern Montana where the coyotes are thick and the shots can get long.

6.5-06AI vs 6.5-284

Between these two, which one will slap coyotes farther out more consistently? Either would need to be on a long action, 1/7 twist, 26"+ barrel. Built for shooting from hill tops to far far away so ease of packing isn't a big issue. I expect they run neck in neck but is one more efficient than the other? Any difference in barrel life? Any other thoughts or opinion on these two cartridges y'all wanna share?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I’ve had no experience with the 6.5-06 Ackley, but I’ve played with both the 6 and 6.5-284. My 6-284 has a 8”twist 26” barrel, and shoots 105 Berger VLD’s right about 3250fps. My 6.5-284 is a hunting rifle with a 9” twist 24” barrel. It shoots 140gr hunting style bullets at around 2850fps. I know this doesn’t answer your question, but thought some real world numbers might at least give you a little insight into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I'm currently in Eastern Montana where the coyotes are thick and the shots can get long.
    I've got a .260 Remington now and am running the 123 grain Hornady ELD-M'S at 2965fps. I'm wondering if just Ackley Improving it would get me the same velocity with the 140's?

Title
    Premium Member
    Any idea what velocity you get out of it now with the 140’s?

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    Any idea what velocity you get out of it now with the 140’s?

I haven't worked any loads up yet with the 140's, I've been having too much fun shooting coyotes with the 123 grainers[emoji4]