Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

50gn VMax in .223

Good afternoon,

I am not new to reloading for .223, however my main gr of choice is 55gr (nothing special).
    Since my 50gn VMax were unsuccessful in another round I purchased them for I have decided to try in the .223 round.
    As with all new load data i know you start lower and ladder up, however i generally start middle from my Hornady book and go from there as needed.
    So my question is should I expect anything different/special or surprising with this lighter projectile?
    I plan to use TAC (it is my go to for this round).

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks. 🇺🇸

Title
    Premium Member
    There's a thread at the top of this section all about the 50 grain vmaz/zmax. TAC is a good powder for this bullet. I have some test rounds loaded but haven't shot them yet, I usually start in the mid range and work up to the higher pressure loads.

Title
    Premium Member
    Nothing to worry about with the 50gr out of your 223. Just follow your data and do what you normally do. I Hope you have good results. Post some pics after you get to shoot them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    What the twist on your 223 rifle and bolt or semi?

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
    There's a thread at the top of this section all about the 50 grain vmaz/zmax. TAC is a good powder for this bullet. I have some test rounds loaded but haven't shot them yet, I usually start in the mid range and work up to the higher pressure loads.
    Sorry didn't see it. Now I do. ��

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    Nothing to worry about with the 50gr out of your 223. Just follow your data and do what you normally do. I Hope you have good results. Post some pics after you get to shoot them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Getting off work today and loading up a 4 step ladder and going out Wednesday to test. Will try n post results.

Title
    Administrator
    Awesome!!
    Quote Originally Posted by hellshenchmen View Post
    Getting off work today and loading up a 4 step ladder and going out Wednesday to test. Will try n post results.

Title
    Premium Member
    So made it to the range last night w/the wife for date night. Running these suppressed & un-suppressed (through the Steyr AUG A3) the were FAN-fukn-TASTIC! Unfortunately (due to obvious safety reasons) I was unable to get speeds and decibel levels. Should be doing out door here soon.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk