Donate to Sages

Thread: Lead

Title
    Premium Member

Lead

I was wondering what everyone's mix is. I'm using Lyman #2

Title
    Premium Member
    #2 is good stuff. I am using a mix of various range scrap that I've dug up and melted.

Title
    Premium Member
    That's what i thought. I've found a place that sells it already mixed. It figures up to $2.70 a pound. Its the cheapest I've found.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I make my own, wheel weights, 80 tin/20 lead solder and antimony. That what I cast tonight.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Nice. I did a cpl hundred round balls yesterday.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EUDE75 View Post
    That's what i thought. I've found a place that sells it already mixed. It figures up to $2.70 a pound. Its the cheapest I've found.

I don't think that's bad for #2. There's guys online that are selling wheel weight or range scrap that'll come in at half that price roughly. I used to be one, but I haven't had time.

Title
    Premium Member
    The main reason I want it premixed is they have the equipment to mix it exactly the same way every time. That way all my bullets are consistently the same no matter when I buy lead.

Title
    With cheap scrap lead getting harder to find and lead wheel weights being slowly phased out I just started buying virgin alloy from Rotometals. I use there Hardball alloy the most, it's very simular to #2 alloy and works great in my Semiauto handguns and lever rifles. I also use the softer 16 to 1 alloy for some revolver bullets that shoot best with some obturation.yes it cost more but it is clean and casts nice bullets.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MissileMan View Post
    With cheap scrap lead getting harder to find and lead wheel weights being slowly phased out I just started buying virgin alloy from Rotometals. I use there Hardball alloy the most, it's very simular to #2 alloy and works great in my Semiauto handguns and lever rifles. I also use the softer 16 to 1 alloy for some revolver bullets that shoot best with some obturation.yes it cost more but it is clean and casts nice bullets.
    Look up Metal shippers. Theirs is a little cheaper.

Title
    Premium Member
    I've been collecting mostly pure lead an wheel weights for many years when you could basically get it just for the asking. Being in the printing industry I've collected Linotype an Monotype in various quantities as well as a bucket full of bar solder I got from an old retired plumber.

I mainly cast 50/50 pure/wheel weights for most all my non magnum handgun and subsonic rifle loads and use straight wheel weights for my 357 mag. and rifle loads. At times I may water quench the wheel weight bullet or heat treat them as needed. I'm saving my Lino & Monotype for when an if I run out of wheel weight alloy. I recover a good bit of my fired bullets from the backyard berm along with lead from jacketed bullet other shooters leave behind, I usually melt that down test the BHN and mix it accordingly.

Some wheel weight bars and range scrap muffins processing I did earlier this past spring.

Last edited by Reloader762; 10-29-2018 at 04:03 PM.
    'Artisan' in Lead, Brass & Powder