Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

38 spl. shot using gas checks?

Do any books show a recipe for .38 spl using shot in between two gas checks? Would you seat the first gas check on the powder, or at what depth? I have #8 shot but what I have seen recommended #10. How much shot? is it loaded by grain or pellet count? I assume a heavy crimp on the top gas check. Looking for recommendations on books that definitely answer these questions. Not necessarily a load min and max. ( But I would listen to any load advice as well). Not really wanting to run the capsules due to cost, and availability. Also concerned about fragility of the capsules. (are they)?
    Last edited by DRannebeck; 07-27-2018 at 07:45 PM.

Title
    Chef E may have some answers on shot capsules. Maybe send him a PM to ask.

https://sagesreloadingforum.com/members/69-Chef-E
    [COLOR="#0000FF"][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Get into reloading to save money they said....[/FONT][/COLOR] :p:p:p:p ....

Title
    Premium Member
    Would love ChefE input. Sending a PM. Hope response is here so the info is shared.

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DRannebeck View Post
    Do any books show a recipe for .38 spl using shot in between two gas checks? Would you seat the first gas check on the powder, or at what depth? I have #8 shot but what I have seen recommended #10. How much shot? is it loaded by grain or pellet count? I assume a heavy crimp on the top gas check. Looking for recommendations on books that definitely answer these questions. Not necessarily a load min and max. ( But I would listen to any load advice as well). Not really wanting to run the capsules due to cost, and availability. Also concerned about fragility of the capsules. (are they)?
    I don't think you can achieve dangerous pressure because you can't get much weight from shot. .22LR shot doesn't generate enough recoil
    impulse to operate the slide on a .22 auto without modifications to the firearm.
    Yes, the capsules are fragile. Crinkle-crimped aluminum cases are probably the best bet but that doesn't leave enough room for goose loads. CCI loads most of their shot in aluminum cases and STILL use plastic capsules.
    I've been trying to acquire .22LR crinkle-crimp brass cased shot loads for rattlers on prairie dog shoots for quite a while with no luck.
    The plastic CCI loads work great but are fragile. Centerfire loads can be carried in belt loops for protection to the plastic if you don't mind 'going cowboy.'

Advantage - S&W Kit gun with speed loaders if you wander into a Kansas snake den.
    004.jpg

Title
    Premium Member
    I've loaded many snake shot rounds loading gas check down to powder charge, fill with #9-#12 shot, cap with inverted gas check and crimp with heavy roll crimp. Best to use Bullseye so your charge takes up minimum space. 3 gr of Bullseye or 5 gr of Unique. You really can't overload a .38 Spl case
    Last edited by shastaboat; 07-30-2018 at 11:19 AM.
    Because I said so!

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks for the responses!

Title
    Sorry been gone for a bit...
    Shit happens... then you die.

Title
    San, I have yet to donut betowwen two gas checks... I use #10 shot and the shot shell capsules from Speer! ( Wes does sell them)
    Shit happens... then you die.