Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wyoming

Title
    Premium Member

Wyoming

I live, hunt and fish here in Washington, on the dry side of the Cascades. But... almost 20 years ago I started making trips to Wyoming every-other-year for hunting... My goodness, that state has treated me well over the years! One year it was a backcountry elk hunt in the Wind River Mountains, nine days, horseback trip in there, set up and lived in a big ol' wall tent with a wood stove. Hunt of a lifetime!

Since then it's been trips for mule deer and sometimes pronghorn antelope too, to various parts of Wyoming. If you haven't hunted "out west" before consider Wyoming. I'll toss in a few photos:

This year's buck, taken at 355 yards, one 115 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip from my 25-06 rifle:

This years antelope, taken at 250 yards or so, 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip from my 30-06 rifle. The rifles are near twins, both Rem 700 CDL's with 6x Leupolds:

Buddy of mine packing out a mule deer buck he took in the mountains near Yellowstone Park. We were three miles from the trailhead, so we boned out the buck, stuffed the meat in our packs and hiked out. Kept ourselves looking around 'cause we'd seen mama & cub grizzly tracks on the same trail we were using!

Nearly 20 years ago, with the 6x6 bull. One shot from the 7mm Rem mag, with a handloaded 175 gr Nosler Partition did the trick at about 180 yards. Great hunt!

I do love my Wyoming hunts. Planning to return in 2020, likely for mule deer & antelope. Anyone else hunt Wyoming? It's a 900 mile drive for me, and I usually take my time getting there, camping and fly-fishing along the way.

Plenty more Wyoming photos to share. Feel free to share your own Wyoming hunting & fishing stories & photos. Great place for a sportsman!

Regards, Guy

Title
    Administrator
    That is awesome!!
    Great trips, great memories, and one hell of a good time.

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks Wes! I found out about your four-photo limit per post while putting this together. I'll share some more Wyoming photos in subsequent posts. It really is a great hunting destination.

BTW guys, if you're thinking about Wyoming for elk, non-resident applications are due in January, so it's time to get on that already!

Regards, Guy

Title
    Administrator
    Thank you buddy!! keep them coming!!
    We had to set the limit to keep posts from being a whole page, but multiple posts with 4 pics are awesome!!

Title
    Premium Member
    Way out in far eastern Wyoming. Yup, Devils Tower. Nope, didn't see any alien spaceships...

Elk camp:

Nice buck. Of course he wasn't in my hunting area... So, I settled for the telephoto lens instead of the rifle. Actually, I'm really glad I was able to get this photo:

We do a LOT of glassing on these hunts, with binos and spotting scopes. Quality optics help. It's classic western "spot and stalk" for the most part:

Guy

Title
    Premium Member
    Awesome!!! I’ve always wanted to go hunt Wyoming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    That’s awesome!!! I hope to make it on a trip out at some point

Title
    Awesome. Thanks for sharing, and know your pictures won’t disappear because someone is a PETA fanatic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Title
    Premium Member
    Great memories!!!

My wife gave me the go ahead for an elk hunt next year. It’ll be my first one so it’ll be a huge learning curve. I live in ND so Wyoming is on the list for me. I need to compare costs for tags distance etc. I didn’t know about the application due date. That’s good info thank you.

Title
    Premium Member
    Kbeaton - you're welcome! I figured somebody might be all fired up about a Wyoming elk hunt and thought I ought to mention that. It catches people by surprise every year.

Actually, I haven't checked the Wyoming application dates for this upcoming season, but for quite a while now, the non-resident elk applications have been due in January.

Best of luck on the draw, and on your hunt!

Regards, Guy