Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CritterGitter View Post
    Any new info guys? I may be in a position to get the ATN Thor 4, I'm liking the 2-8 power...?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    I got my unit and had an issue. Had to send it in for warranty service. They replaced it with. a new unit. Only downside is had to wait for them to get more in. It was scheduled back while I was on vacation so literally got it back Friday. Mounted and taking it to the range to site in today. The 4k Picture is great

[COLOR="#0000FF"][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Get into reloading to save money they said....[/FONT][/COLOR] :p:p:p:p ....

Title
    Premium Member
    I'm currently in Eastern Montana where the coyotes are thick and the shots can get long.
    Quote Originally Posted by TracyG View Post
    I got my unit and had an issue. Had to send it in for warranty service. They replaced it with. a new unit. Only downside is had to wait for them to get more in. It was scheduled back while I was on vacation so literally got it back Friday. Mounted and taking it to the range to site in today. The 4k Picture is great
    Was the issue the unit powering off and resetting everything? I had an ATN night vision (one of the lower end ones) that did that several times. Let me know how the new one works bud.

Title
    Premium Member
    My opinion re. green kill lights,night vision,and thermal.
    1. A LASER green kill light is adaquate for 60% of all night hunting situations involving hogs,deer,and the smaller critters. Especially over bait. My Laser Genetics kill lights are good for several hundred yards. Especially the 50mm model. The downside is that it emits a visable green light. Upside is that you can use your regular gun and scope combo.
    I have used mine to kill deer at night also. (with a depredation permit)
    2. Night vision is adaquate for most night hunting. Gen3 only and with a high powered IR illuminator. Downside is that critters can easily hide from NV in even fairly sparce brush. Also the distance you can positively ID an animal. A high powered illuminator will help greatly but they are somewhat expensive. Some illuminators will give off a faint glow that coyotes can see.
    3. Thermal Sights - - -> They are costly. The cheaper ones start about where the most costly NV stops (+ illuminator). I believe that I have seen them for about $2000. lately. For comparison,mine cost $7000. five years ago.
    You gotta hunt a bunch to justify the expense. Most people do not hunt enough to justify the elevated cost.
    Thermal detects a temperature differential. Light will not hurt thermal unless you look directly into the sun or a welders arc. I can look directly into a street light or car headlights with my unit. No harm done. Anything that is hotter OR colder than the ambient air will light up in my thermal. You can use a Hot Hands or a pill bottle with frozen water in it as a target to sight in the thermal. Other things also. You can hunt in daylight with thermal.
    My unit will detect a target at 1200yds. Recognize the target at 436yds. And positively ID the target at 267yds.
    Realistically . . . I can tell the difference betweern a hog and a deer at 600yds. A armadillo and a possum at 250yds. This,in a harvested peanut field. (Open ground)
    My unit is a ATN ThOR,640,3X,60hz. I has three zooms. 3X-6X-12X It is 8 inches long and weighs 30oz. It takes 3, CR123 batts.
    Weather you need a thermal or not is up to you. If nothing else remember these two things.
    1. With thermal . . you OWN the night.
    2. NOTHING ESCAPES THERMAL.
    I truly wish that every NV hunter could look thru my thermal.
    Any questions re. thermal or its use . . just ask.
    Good Huntin' --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    I'm currently in Eastern Montana where the coyotes are thick and the shots can get long.
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    My opinion re. green kill lights,night vision,and thermal.
    1. A LASER green kill light is adaquate for 60% of all night hunting situations involving hogs,deer,and the smaller critters. Especially over bait. My Laser Genetics kill lights are good for several hundred yards. Especially the 50mm model. The downside is that it emits a visable green light. Upside is that you can use your regular gun and scope combo.
    I have used mine to kill deer at night also. (with a depredation permit)
    2. Night vision is adaquate for most night hunting. Gen3 only and with a high powered IR illuminator. Downside is that critters can easily hide from NV in even fairly sparce brush. Also the distance you can positively ID an animal. A high powered illuminator will help greatly but they are somewhat expensive. Some illuminators will give off a faint glow that coyotes can see.
    3. Thermal Sights - - -> They are costly. The cheaper ones start about where the most costly NV stops (+ illuminator). I believe that I have seen them for about $2000. lately. For comparison,mine cost $7000. five years ago.
    You gotta hunt a bunch to justify the expense. Most people do not hunt enough to justify the elevated cost.
    Thermal detects a temperature differential. Light will not hurt thermal unless you look directly into the sun or a welders arc. I can look directly into a street light or car headlights with my unit. No harm done. Anything that is hotter OR colder than the ambient air will light up in my thermal. You can use a Hot Hands or a pill bottle with frozen water in it as a target to sight in the thermal. Other things also. You can hunt in daylight with thermal.
    My unit will detect a target at 1200yds. Recognize the target at 436yds. And positively ID the target at 267yds.
    Realistically . . . I can tell the difference betweern a hog and a deer at 600yds. A armadillo and a possum at 250yds. This,in a harvested peanut field. (Open ground)
    My unit is a ATN ThOR,640,3X,60hz. I has three zooms. 3X-6X-12X It is 8 inches long and weighs 30oz. It takes 3, CR123 batts.
    Weather you need a thermal or not is up to you. If nothing else remember these two things.
    1. With thermal . . you OWN the night.
    2. NOTHING ESCAPES THERMAL.
    I truly wish that every NV hunter could look thru my thermal.
    Any questions re. thermal or its use . . just ask.
    Good Huntin' --- SAWMAN
    Sawman, thanks for the great insight. I'm an avid year round coyote hunters, but never got into the night hunting much yet. I've tried a few times and got a lower end ATN NV scope once. Wasn't impressed as my red flashlight and normal scope worked far better than the NV. I live in Eastern Montana where long distance is always a possibility but close range happens frequently. I'd like to see coyotes coming in farther than a hundred yards, the more time ya got, the more prepared ya are ya know. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get the ATN Thor 4 in 2-8. I've got the opportunity to afford it and I'm pretty excited to become a night predator

Title
    Premium Member
    When my wife ok'ed the thermal purchase,I set out to read everything that I could get my hands on about thermal. Where I live there was no one that owned thermal for me to look thru or talk to about it.
    At the time (about 5 years ago) thermal sights went from about $4000. to well over $20,000. We set the budget at $6000 but then I sold several higher end guns and this bumped the budget to $8000.
    The new thermal buyer needs to figure out what he needs the thermal to do. Nowadays they have built in Wi-Fi,GPS,compass,altimeter,rangefinder,and others. And you will pay dearly for RESOLUTION.
    Make sure you understand how thermal works. It is the nighthunters dream,but it has a few limitations. Like . . . it will not look thru glass. Glass is a thermal barrier. There are others.
    When your talkin' thermal,you must be a super informed buyer. --- SAWMAN

XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    I was unaware of the glass thing, thank goodness coyotes don't know that!!! I'm seeing all the bells and whistles, but I feel that most of it is unnecessary (personal opinion). Mostly I just want to know what is around me and be able to identify my targets at the greatest distance possible. The rangefinder feature may come in handy there, but we'll see. Thanks for all the input Sawman!

Title
    Premium Member
    I'm running an atn X sight 2 I've had it for almost 2 years and so far this unit has treated me very very well. It has a bug or two but I can't complain as most of them are my fault not the optics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    You have to talk to many people on Thermal that have experienced a LOT.
    Things to add to what Sawman said.

1) Lights are OK but the animal still sees it. It appears gray so if you get many misses they will learn to be skittish. You also have to account for your own eyes. I have issues with green but do not have any seeing using red lights.

2) IR based NV does have limitations but significantly lower entry cost. The 4K out performs the HD2 on whiteout caused by brush close in. Fog can be an issue unless you have a remote light to get thru it. Military grade NV runs what thermal does.

3) You can see critters thru grass with thermal and you can see in the woods easier. Downside to thermal is when it comes to identification as compared to some NV. I have zero issues identifying animals out over 400yards in moonlight or with good light. Glass will not be a problem in the woods but so will fog or a fresh coat of mud on a hog. It will warm up the longer it is on him but have heard stories.

If I had $4k to spend... thermal would be it... for less than $650... I am doing an ATN all day long.

BTW... sighted in the 4K today.... it worked great. Hunt next weekend will tell more.

[COLOR="#0000FF"][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Get into reloading to save money they said....[/FONT][/COLOR] :p:p:p:p ....

Title
    Premium Member
    My unit is/has:
    * dioptor adjustment
    * range focus adjustment
    * 5 different pallet adjustments
    * 5 different crosshair choices
    * 4 different crosshair colors
    * on screen viewing of battery power left,pallet color selected,crosshair choice,and pallet choice
    Another important thing to remember. You are looking at a miniature TV screen. You have no depth perception. It is extremely hard to judge distances. But expierance with your particular unit helps determine distance somewhat.
    The very best hunting with thermal is the nights with no moon or before it has come up,or after it has set. You would be surprised how well animals can see your movement even with 1/4 moon.
    And like a sunny day,during full moon that is high up,use the shadows to help hide you.
    Wear all dark clothing. My buddy and I wear all black. --- SAWMAN

XM177E2

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    My unit is/has:

The very best hunting with thermal is the nights with no moon or before it has come up,or after it has set. You would be surprised how well animals can see your movement even with 1/4 moon.
    And like a sunny day,during full moon that is high up,use the shadows to help hide you.
    Wear all dark clothing. My buddy and I wear all black. --- SAWMAN
    Truth.... I bought old school Mossy Oak Bottomland because it is the best night cam except maybe dark gray... Black can make me stand out in an open field... bottomland-hotspots.jpg