Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Title
    Premium Member

.224 Valkyrie Journal

So I am starting my .224 Valkyrie Journal as of today.

I went to the range got the rifle zeroed and gas block tuned. Surprisingly painless but I got that done it under 10 rounds with some cheap walmart American Eagle 77gr.

I start to shoot for groups and the American Eagle shoots really well for sub $10 a box ammo. 1in at 100 is a good start.

I go to the Hornady Match ammo (88gr ELD) and the QA/QC just isn't there IMHO. 3 rounds touching and 2 fliers was the best group. I was shooting over my chrono and the 2 fliers were 60-80 FPS lower than the groups. Shot 3 5 shot groups and had the issue in all 3 groups fliers with very low velocity.

Tried one more group at 300 2 rounds in 1.5 inch other 3 weren't on paper velocity on those 3 was way off again. SD was 34.6.

I don't think the 1-7 twist will be an issue but I hope to get some better SD and accuracy out of my hand loads. Going to start with 90gr SMK and 75GR ELDM (bought accidentally were in the 73gr spot on the shelf when I was working up 5.56 loads)

Sent from my BBD100-2 using Tapatalk

Title
    Administrator
    Nice!! Looks like a good start, and hand loads will really help it out, especially at longer distances!!
    If you get the 90gr SMK dialed in, we have them in 500 packs, at well below dealer cost on the website, and we have Federal brass on sale as well

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Sage View Post
    Nice!! Looks like a good start, and hand loads will really help it out, especially at longer distances!!
    If you get the 90gr SMK dialed in, we have them in 500 packs, at well below dealer cost on the website, and we have Federal brass on sale as well
    Honestly Wes I only got the brass and 90gr SMK to get free shipping from midway when I bought 6.8 mags.

Title
    Administrator
    Nice!! That seems to be a really popular combo for a lot of people
    Quote Originally Posted by duqjeep2010 View Post
    Honestly Wes I only got the brass and 90gr SMK to get free shipping from midway when I bought 6.8 mags.

Title
    Premium Member
    I am having good luck with 90 SMK and RL17. The RL17 is having temp sensitivity issues though. I heard RL16 is the same burn rate and such with less temperature issues.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UH60_TrunkMonkey View Post
    I am having good luck with 90 SMK and RL17. The RL17 is having temp sensitivity issues though. I heard RL16 is the same burn rate and such with less temperature issues.
    I have a big jug of Win 748 that I want to try.

I am hoping the 75 ELDM do well. You need about 5 minutes less drop at 1000 over the 90smk and are getting like 200-300 fps more at the muzzle.

Title
    Premium Member
    I have seen guys getting good results with the lighter bullets. Launching them faster can certainly defeat the 90smk.

I have W748 on hand also and 73 grain ELD-M. I was planning on using the 73s in my wife's 223 but you have me thinking....

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UH60_TrunkMonkey View Post
    I have seen guys getting good results with the lighter bullets. Launching them faster can certainly defeat the 90smk.

I have W748 on hand also and 73 grain ELD-M. I was planning on using the 73s in my wife's 223 but you have me thinking....
    I guess let me be the guinea pig.

I only have the 75s because they were on the 73 spot on the shelf at cabelas. Realized they weren't 5.56 mag length so I might as well try them in valk.

From what I am seeing 2900-3000fps should be doable. They still have a .46ish bc doing 1200 something FPS at 1000.

Title
    Premium Member
    Works for me. I have my 90smk data at home. Are you interested in that? I also have a PDF from sierra on load data for the Valkyrie.

Title
    Premium Member
    I started loading for my Valkyrie yesterday and today. I bought 100 new Federal brass so I could meet Midway's free shipping minimum when I got mags.

I noticed 2 things about this Federal brass.

1: For being new brass, it is very inconsistent. When neck sizing I had 3 pieces get stuck in the die because the case body actually got resized. So I had to full-length size all my new brass.
    2: The primer pockets already feel very loose. Maybe I am used to hand-priming LC brass for my MK262 clone loads where I control the swage but these primer pockets are far looser feeling than my .308 brass with 8 firings on it. Perhaps I will have to invest in a primer pocket go/no-go or move to CCI 41 Primers.