Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Title
    Premium Member
    [QUOTE=duqjeep2010;6340]So I am starting my .224 Valkyrie Journal as of today.

I went to the range got the rifle zeroed and gas block tuned. Surprisingly painless but I got that done it under 10 rounds with some cheap walmart American Eagle 77gr.

I start to shoot for groups and the American Eagle shoots really well for sub $10 a box ammo. 1in at 100 is a good start.

I go to the Hornady Match ammo (88gr ELD) and the QA/QC just isn't there IMHO. 3 rounds touching and 2 fliers was the best group. I was shooting over my chrono and the 2 fliers were 60-80 FPS lower than the groups. Shot 3 5 shot groups and had the issue in all 3 groups fliers with very low velocity.

Tried one more group at 300 2 rounds in 1.5 inch other 3 weren't on paper velocity on those 3 was way off again. SD was 34.6.

I don't think the 1-7 twist will be an issue but I hope to get some better SD and accuracy out of my hand loads. Going to start with 90gr SMK and 75GR ELDM (bought accidentally were in the 73gr spot on the shelf when I was working up 5.56 loads)

Sent from my BBD100-2 using Tapa

The whole reason I built my 224 V was to shoot the heavier 224 bullets. I load and shoot the 90 gr Sierra. I also like the 75 gr but prefer the 90 gr more.

Title
    Premium Member
    First range session with my hand loads. New Federal brass, Hornady 75gr ELD-M Winchester 748 Powder.

My ladder test basically confirms this is in the middle of the node. (Won't have any pictures of the ladder just had to deal with using my spotting scope. I actually had to use my locking differential to get out of the mud at the 300yd range)

I'm not seeing any pressure concerns at this charge. I had some odd ejector marks across the range of charges I'm going to chalk that up to the gas system since gun seemed really over gassed. Once I settle on a load I will have to tune it in better.

So far this load seems promising should stay super to 1100-1200 depending on environmentals.

Sent from my BBD100-2 using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duqjeep2010 View Post
    First range session with my hand loads. New Federal brass, Hornady 75gr ELD-M Winchester 748 Powder.

My ladder test basically confirms this is in the middle of the node. (Won't have any pictures of the ladder just had to deal with using my spotting scope. I actually had to use my locking differential to get out of the mud at the 300yd range)

I'm not seeing any pressure concerns at this charge. I had some odd ejector marks across the range of charges I'm going to chalk that up to the gas system since gun seemed really over gassed. Once I settle on a load I will have to tune it in better.

So far this load seems promising should stay super to 1100-1200 depending on environmentals.

Try a heavier buffer. I was having ejector smears in one of my ARs in .223 no matter the load with heavier projectiles. The pressure builds differently with heavier bullets, so my bolt was unlocking too early while the case was still under enough pressure to have it expanded to the chamber walls. So the bolt was turning while the cases were expanded to the chamber and the ejector was smearing in the head of the brass. Moved to an H3 buffer so I could have the weights to swap around to find what worked better. Turns out the H3 worked wonders. No more smearing on my loads that I push a lil hard. It also helped smooth out the recoil impulse. Seems like the timing issue with the bolt unlocking too early is fixed now. The ejector smearing never happened with the 62 grain and lower stuff, but the 65 grain stuff it would occasionally and over 65 grains it was very regular. Maybe that's why yours is leaving them? Mine did it on light charged loads when using the heavier bullets.

"Do I reload to shoot more, or do I shoot to reload more?" 30-378 Weatherby, .300 RUM, 7mm Rem Mag, 6.5 Creedmoor, .223/5.56, .375 H&H, .40 S&W, 10mm, .357 SIG

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernCoyote View Post
    Try a heavier buffer. I was having ejector smears in one of my ARs in .223 no matter the load with heavier projectiles. The pressure builds differently with heavier bullets, so my bolt was unlocking too early while the case was still under enough pressure to have it expanded to the chamber walls. So the bolt was turning while the cases were expanded to the chamber and the ejector was smearing in the head of the brass. Moved to an H3 buffer so I could have the weights to swap around to find what worked better. Turns out the H3 worked wonders. No more smearing on my loads that I push a lil hard. It also helped smooth out the recoil impulse. Seems like the timing issue with the bolt unlocking too early is fixed now. The ejector smearing never happened with the 62 grain and lower stuff, but the 65 grain stuff it would occasionally and over 65 grains it was very regular. Maybe that's why yours is leaving them? Mine did it on light charged loads when using the heavier bullets.
    I have a rifle tube and buffer.

I have a superlative arms blow off gas block the mirage/ blow off was screwing with me today. I think I will tune it as a regular adjustable block. Hopefully that will help with the smears and I won't have to wait for the blow off to clear at higher magnifications.

Title
    Premium Member
    Went out yesterday and shot some groups with the 90gr SMK. Not very pleased with the results.

My charges went from 23.3 to 25.4 of Win 748. My Standard Deviations were all garbage. The best was the 25.4 and It was 12.42 everything else was in the 30's. I didn't get to shoot a ladder test because I forgot my GoPro.

I did my best for an OCW test and allowed the barrel to cool with a barrel chiller as prescribed.

Right now I don't see the benefit of these over the 75 ELDM I already tested. The 90gr SMK is over twice the price of the 75 ELDM and my only goal for this rifle is to get to 1k which the 75 should do.

Next time Midsouth Shooters does a hazmat special I will get some of the 88gr ELDM to test out maybe they will do a little better.

Last edited by duqjeep2010; 10-11-2018 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Add photos

Title
    Premium Member
    Might want to give the old(er) 69gr SMK's a try also. The B.C. is pretty high on these . . . especially shoved at the Val's velocities.
    I got these bullets to shoot great out of a 22-250 bolt gun after a re-barrel to 1:9 twist. --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    Might want to give the old(er) 69gr SMK's a try also. The B.C. is pretty high on these . . . especially shoved at the Val's velocities.
    I got these bullets to shoot great out of a 22-250 bolt gun after a re-barrel to 1:9 twist. --- SAWMAN
    Still looking sub .4 BC with the 69gr SMK. My biggest thing with the Valkryie is the ability to load bullets to mag length that I can't in 5.56.

Title
    Premium Member
    Hand priming my once fired brass today. Not looking good for the brass life for federal brass.

Once fired brass shouldn't take a no go gauge like that.

Anyone have any better luck with Star line brass?

My hornady brass still seems good to go though.

Title
    Administrator
    Haven't heard much on Starline brass yet.
    I do know people getting 5-9 reloads with Federal brass, but they aren't running the rounds at max loads either.
    I think the false promises put out for this round before it came out, has a lot of people chasing velocities that weren't realistic, without over pressuring the rifle and the brass.
    That is just my .02c, but as time goes on, more tests and real data will come out for it.
    300blk had the same issues in the beginning too

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Sage View Post
    Haven't heard much on Starline brass yet.
    I do know people getting 5-9 reloads with Federal brass, but they aren't running the rounds at max loads either.
    I think the false promises put out for this round before it came out, has a lot of people chasing velocities that weren't realistic, without over pressuring the rifle and the brass.
    That is just my .02c, but as time goes on, more tests and real data will come out for it.
    300blk had the same issues in the beginning too
    Most of this was from American Eagle 75gr factory loads.

Personally I'm pretty happy with the performance from the 75gr eldm.