Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title
    Premium Member

Good caliber for someone with arthritis issues.

Long story short, back in 2004, my now ex-friend wanted to show off his "drifting skills" on a dirt road near his house. He rolled the F'er 12 times, broke my C1-3 and fractured my L4-6, spent my 21st b-day in a HALO. He came out 100% ok, bastard. Fast forward to now, I walk with a cane and have issues firing high recoil weapons among other issues. I used to love shooting my M44 Nagant and Desert Eagle, but can't handle the recoil. So what is out there that has light recoil and is reliable to for downing deer, elk, Big Horn sheep and possibly Moose/Caribou. I have family that goes with me to help pack out the animal.

Looking at:
    6.5 Creed
    "Low Recoil" ammunition 7mm
    "Low Recoil" ammunition 30-06

Thoughts? Opinions?

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellyroll View Post
    Long story short, back in 2004, my now ex-friend wanted to show off his "drifting skills" on a dirt road near his house. He rolled the F'er 12 times, broke my C1-3 and fractured my L4-6, spent my 21st b-day in a HALO. He came out 100% ok, bastard. Fast forward to now, I walk with a cane and have issues firing high recoil weapons among other issues. I used to love shooting my M44 Nagant and Desert Eagle, but can't handle the recoil. So what is out there that has light recoil and is reliable to for downing deer, elk, Big Horn sheep and possibly Moose/Caribou. I have family that goes with me to help pack out the animal.

Looking at:
    6.5 Creed
    "Low Recoil" ammunition 7mm
    "Low Recoil" ammunition 30-06

Thoughts? Opinions?
    Your idea of the 6.5 creed is a good one find one that’s threaded put a good brake on it you’ll have almost no recoil the heavier the rifle the more reduced it gets also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rub some dirt on it and get back in the fight

Title
    Premium Member
    That's good to know about the 6.5

Title
    Premium Member
    If by 7mm you mean 7mm mag I would run away from that. 6.5 creed is probably a great option. Other options I would consider if I were you would be a 7mm-08 or 7mm mauser. Both of those are nearly identical.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewdogg21 View Post
    If by 7mm you mean 7mm mag I would run away from that. 6.5 creed is probably a great option. Other options I would consider if I were you would be a 7mm-08 or 7mm mauser. Both of those are nearly identical.

Yes, meant 7mm-08

Title
    Premium Member
    I know this is light for some of your requirements, but it's a pleasure to shoot: lever action in 45 Colt.

disciplejourney.com

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkDisciplinare View Post
    I know this is light for some of your requirements, but it's a pleasure to shoot: lever action in 45 Colt.
    It's fine. I shoot a FiveSeveN pistol because of the light recoil, but it would be nice to shoot something other than baby rounds lol. I miss going to the range and firing a variety of calibers. Hell in one day I put 200rd through my 8mm Mauser, 100 through my Nagant and probably a 100 through my DE and FiveSeveN, but that was a decade ago. Before shooting just one clip worth of Nagant ammo made my right arm useless with pain and my left weak and I had to pack up and let a family member drive.

Title
    Premium Member
    Any of the mid sized 6.5s should fit the bill, Creedmore, 260 rem, or 6.5 x 55. Also the 243 and 7mm 08 are quite good.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog View Post
    Any of the mid sized 6.5s should fit the bill, Creedmore, 260 rem, or 6.5 x 55. Also the 243 and 7mm 08 are quite good.
    I just looked into the .260, finding lot of similarities between the Creed and .260 rem The .260 is peaking my interest. It has better quality brass than the creed for reloading, been around for ages, cheaper ammo and plenty of support. Will this round take out bigger animals than deer? Such as Big Horns, Elk, etc? I've read that it can, just all about shot placement with them.

Last edited by Jellyroll; 09-12-2018 at 12:11 AM.

Title
    Premium Member
    Question for ya Wolfdog. What about the .270 winchester? I've been reading that they can and do down large Elk. One article showed a 150 point Montana Elk downed with a .270

Last edited by Jellyroll; 09-12-2018 at 10:08 PM.