Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Title
    Premium Member
    270 is a great round, but recoil can be brisk compared to the mid sized 6.5s all of which are very similar from a ballistic stand point. And shooting heavy bullets (139-160gain) 6.5 x55 is a common caliber for hunting European Elk(which we would call moose) as well as boar. If you get one just sure you get 1 in 8 twist rate so it will shoot the heavier bullets.

Title
    Premium Member
    Look at a calibers that you can find anywhere. Some time the local sporting good store don't have 65 cred in stock. For light recoil and a good one to shoot is 243 win. Also depending where you live an AR platform could work for you.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog View Post
    270 is a great round, but recoil can be brisk compared to the mid sized 6.5s all of which are very similar from a ballistic stand point. And shooting heavy bullets (139-160gain) 6.5 x55 is a common caliber for hunting European Elk(which we would call moose) as well as boar. If you get one just sure you get 1 in 8 twist rate so it will shoot the heavier bullets.
    Ok good to know.

Title
    Premium Member
    Jelly - a 6.5 creedmore will do everything your asking and be lighter recoil than a 270. 6.5 creed is fast becoming a popular sheep cartridge apparently from what I read in outdoor magazines (no first hand experience). I shoot a 270 in a tika t3 lite and it's a little kicker, especially compared to my 35 Remington. You may also look at an AR. Being a semi auto it further reduces felt recoil, especially if you put a good butt pad on it. Or maybe just a regular bolt action with a limb saver recoil reducing pad.

Title
    Premium Member
    Jellyroll, I have similar issues as you not from an accident just from getting old. I have had two neck surgeries last one three years ago with hardware from the base of my skull to the top of my shoulders. I had lower back surgery three weeks ago.

So from the stand point of lighter recoil the 6.5 Creedmoor was the way for me to go. Different from the 260 Remington the 6.5 Creedmoor has the ability to seat the bullet a little longer or shorter to dial in for more accuracy. The 260 Remington is a necked down version of the 308. I have not shot a 260 but would guess the recoil would be near the same or maybe a little lighter. You will not have the same variances to load longer or shorter with the 260 as you would with the Creedmoor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Just for an idea if you do choose the 6.5Creed T/C compas has a threaded barrel so you could put a break on it. Also if you served in the military there are rebates available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Sounds like the 6.5 Creed will be the one.