Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Tumbling 223 Brass - Media in Flash Hole

After I prep my brass and then tumble, I always have corn cob media pieces in the flash hole of the primer pocket. I normally remove these by hand or run them thru the press again with a decapping die. What is the downside to leaving these media bits in place? I would think that the primer would blow these out when it ignites, without any issue. Does anyone have any experience or real knowledge on this?

Title
    Premium Member
    I had one that made it through and into gun I ended up with a hang fire. Over pressured the primer but still sent the round wouldn’t advise I got lucky could have been a lot worse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rub some dirt on it and get back in the fight

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eagle-man View Post
    After I prep my brass and then tumble, I always have corn cob media pieces in the flash hole of the primer pocket. I normally remove these by hand or run them thru the press again with a decapping die. What is the downside to leaving these media bits in place? I would think that the primer would blow these out when it ignites, without any issue. Does anyone have any experience or real knowledge on this?
    I always clean the media out with compressed air.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I had the same issue before. I ran a few through with no issues that I could see but decided on cleaning the rest out as I went to be safe. My opinion is why chance it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I tumble my brass before I de-prime. Don't have that issue. And I've never had issues with dirty primer pockets either. But ALL my brass is tumbled clean before the process begins.

Title
    Premium Member
    I dry tumble after unloading...then decap....the wet tumble with pins dawn and lemishine...

Title
    Premium Member
    Put a universal recapping die in the first station. Pops it right out.

Title
    Premium Member
    I noticed that problem with corn cob media, so I'd use a small dental pick to clean them out. Eventually, I stopped doing that, and never had a problem with the primer blowing it out for me. Never had a round not go off. Once I ran out of corn cob media, I switched to a finer-grain walnut media and have never had to worry about it since.