Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks guys for the input guess I’ll start with the 180 Barnes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rub some dirt on it and get back in the fight

Title
    Premium Member
    When I guided in Maine I had several guys show up for the moose hunt with the bigger Weatherby's. The 300 was most common but a few with the 30-378,338-378,and even one with an older 375.
    I loved to see this as there was minimal or no tracking. I had a "sport" kill a moose using a 270 Wby Mag across a clearcut at a lasered 590yds.
    I cannot remember the bullets used. Most Wby shooters used handloads as I remember. With the extreme speed produced it is not advised to use the run of the mill 30-06 bullets.
    I believe the no lead bullets would be great for these guns. No jacket to shed but there would be a possibility of petal seperation. --- SAWMAN
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    When I guided in Maine I had several guys show up for the moose hunt with the bigger Weatherby's. The 300 was most common but a few with the 30-378,338-378,and even one with an older 375.
    I loved to see this as there was minimal or no tracking. I had a "sport" kill a moose using a 270 Wby Mag across a clearcut at a lasered 590yds.
    I cannot remember the bullets used. Most Wby shooters used handloads as I remember. With the extreme speed produced it is not advised to use the run of the mill 30-06 bullets.
    I believe the no lead bullets would be great for these guns. No jacket to shed but there would be a possibility of petal seperation. --- SAWMAN
    [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Rub some dirt on it and get back in the fight

Title
    Premium Member
    My only experience with 30-378 was I guy that hunted on a lease with me in Ga. He couldn't shoot it for beans and would blow big holes in deer and have to come get me to trail them up because he gut shot them or one time he blew one's foreleg off. He didn't reload and I think he was paying about $100 for a box of 20 rounds so he did not shoot it enough to be good with it.

Title
    Premium Member
    That’s some nice shooting there.

Title
    Premium Member
    Thank you sir. My 338-378 shoots about the same

Title
    Awesome rifle! Seriously accurate. You won't have to worry about your powder getting old shooting that one, but if you want to shoot something at 700 yards you have the rifle to do it!

Title
    Premium Member
    I love all my accumarks

Title
    Premium Member
    Bringing an old thread back up, do any of you have and experience with Swift Sirocco II 180 grain projectiles in the 30-378? Fixing to start loading for it for long range Elk, Grizzly, etc. Was curious as to how the Swifts do in such extreme velocities like this caliber?
    "Do I reload to shoot more, or do I shoot to reload more?" 30-378 Weatherby, .300 RUM, 7mm Rem Mag, 6.5 Creedmoor, .223/5.56, .375 H&H, .40 S&W, 10mm, .357 SIG

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernCoyote View Post
    Bringing an old thread back up, do any of you have and experience with Swift Sirocco II 180 grain projectiles in the 30-378? Fixing to start loading for it for long range Elk, Grizzly, etc. Was curious as to how the Swifts do in such extreme velocities like this caliber?
    Using it for grizzly I would avoid the Sirocco. It's not really designed for penetration. Swift A-frame would be a great choice but your sacrificing BC

Barnes TSX or TTSX may be a good compromise

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk