Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Which Chronograph on a budget

I still consider myself a newbie and up to this point have only dabbled in trying to tune a load for a specific gun and always start on the low end of published data and work up. I have decided that I want/need a chronograph to start trying to develop a load for my rifles and believe that is a key first step. I also think from what I have seen the Labradar is a good choice but not in the budget right now. Looking for recommendations and hoping to stay between $100-$200 for chrono,tripod, etc. I appreciate any feed back y'all can offer.

Title
    Premium Member
    I bought the Caldwell kit that includes the tripod. Not sure just how accurate it is, but it works and appears to be pretty close. I don't think you will find one any cheaper or if you do I would be leery.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    The Caldwell was decent when I owned it, however it was very finicky with the lighting conditions... Overcast, rarely picked up... Hot and sunny, same deal. If you have good lighting conditions it works pretty well.

"Do I reload to shoot more, or do I shoot to reload more?" 30-378 Weatherby, .300 RUM, 7mm Rem Mag, 6.5 Creedmoor, .223/5.56, .375 H&H, .40 S&W, 10mm, .357 SIG

Title
    Premium Member
    One thing with any of them, be ready to purchase a second one. For AFTER you shoot the first one.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IMCAfan View Post
    One thing with any of them, be ready to purchase a second one. For AFTER you shoot the first one.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    There are 2 kinds of people. Those who have shot their chronograph and those who don't own a chronograph.

Lucky for me I only hit the rod that holds the sunshade and it straightened right out. I was curious how much velocity my 357 Sig loses when shot out of a 40S&W barrel. Turns out it's about 50% and the accuracy goes to absolute hell. In order to hit that rod I had to have been at least 10" to the right at 10 feet away. Hahaha

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I had the Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital ($110.00) for several years so I can't comment on any of the others. I get very few errors, maybe 1 out of every 100 shots. I've fired nerf guns, BB guns, .22's 9mm, .357, .44 mag, .45, 9mm, 7mm mag, .308, 30-30 .223, and probably a few more that I can't remember. I highly recommend it. It'll save 99 shots in 9 strings and give ED, SD, AVG, High and Low info. Competition Electronics will also warranty it if you shoot it. Send it to them and they will repair or replace it for 1/2 the retail cost.

I also bought the Digital Link bluetooth adapter ($60.00) for it so the shots save to my phone and I email them home to my computer for printing. Really a nice setup.

Any standard camera tripod will work with it.

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks guys. I ended up ordering the Caldwell kit and appreciate all the feed back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I think all of them seem to be light finicky or just the three brands I tried so far.